Replacing a PIR Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an existing outdoor PIR security light. However, the existing light has four wires going into it but the new one only has three. My problem is working out which ones to use. The old lamp has a Brown and Red going into a block and a Yellow wire going into another block plus the earth. The Brown wire is joined to two wires one going to the PIR and the other to the lamp, the Red wire goes to the PIR. The yellow wire is joined to two wires - one going to the lamp and the other to the PIR. This is a picture of the old lamps wiring
. The new lamp just has three - earth, L and N:

Sponsored Links
Your old lamp and wiring has (had) the facility for an over-ride. That is what the yellow wire is for.

Put a terminal block to insulate the yellow wire and connect the red to L and the blue to N and the earth conductor (with some green/yellow sleeving) to the E connector.

You may loose the over-ride facility dependig on what switching is provided to control the light.

The new lamp also has an override facility but only has two connections. As far as I can tell, the wires in the existing override swich are Red to common, Yellow to L1 and the Blue (incorrectly specified as Brown in the original post) going to L2

Sponsored Links
Connect as follows:
* red core conductor to live
* blue conductor to neutral
* sleeve earth/cpc green/yellow, then connect to earth terminal
* leave yellow core unconnected, but terminate to seperate connector strip/block within fitting.

The new light may have an override facility integrated to it's internal circuitry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back