Exterior PIR Light Wiring - Yellow Wire from House - why?

I think we need to have a wip round and buy secure some new felt tips.
I think we probably do - and in a wider range of colours - or some suitable software :)
The diagram just shows a permanent live and a switched live for override going outside.
I obviously realise that but, in the absence of any words, I'm not really sure how the diagram is meant to relate to his previous post (and/or my reply thereto) or to the OP's situation (who, as I said, probably does not have an 'over-ride' switch).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
mean-spirited things about me.
:cry:

OK. So I forgot to add the narrative to the picture. Which would have included a grovelling apology for daring to not have the correct coloured pens.

But who keeps bleating on about "...wires only being wires and they don't know what they're carrying?"

It doesn't really matter what colour they are - the important thing was they were labelled as to their purpose.

The other part of the explanation was (by way of the diagram) that it was not a standard switched lighting point feeding a security light, but one that is (unless the DP switch is off) on all the time when the override switch is down and operating via the PIR when the switch is up.

As for the neutral appearing to be connected to the switch....if it were, it would not be a 1G1W switch. Unless of course, it is one of the new switches that has a neutral parking terminal on the switch mechanism. Was it? It may have been. Or maybe that bit wasn't clear either?

Everyone's a critic. :rolleyes:

hudmeez-big-hug_.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK. So I forgot to add the narrative to the picture. Which would have included a grovelling apology for daring to not have the correct coloured pens. ... But who keeps bleating on about "...wires only being wires and they don't know what they're carrying?" ... It doesn't really matter what colour they are - the important thing was they were labelled as to their purpose.
Sure - but what you have to understand is that, without any words, that post/diagram seemed to be intended as some sort of 'supplement' to your preceding post in which you had talked about 'which colour you used for what' - which made it difficult to understand your intent!
The other part of the explanation was (by way of the diagram) that it was not a standard switched lighting point feeding a security light, but one that is (unless the DP switch is off) on all the time when the override switch is down and operating via the PIR when the switch is up.
Fair enough - but, as I said, in the context of this thread, the OP does not appear to have such switching. By 'experiment' he has demonstrated that the red core of the cable from house to the PIR (presumably from vicinity of switch in house) is never live, and that the yellow core is live only when that switch is 'on'. In other words, it appears that the red is connected to nothing and the yellow is just an L, switched by a 1-way SP switch.
As for the neutral appearing to be connected to the switch....if it were, it would not be a 1G1W switch. Unless of course, it is one of the new switches that has a neutral parking terminal on the switch mechanism. Was it? It may have been. Or maybe that bit wasn't clear either?
Totally clear to me, and undoubtedly to everyone else who commented (and many who didn't) - but maybe not so clear/obvious to someone who needs to ask how to wire a switch or a PIR lamp.
Everyone's a critic. :rolleyes:
We all love you, really ;)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back