LED Floodlight With PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just bought a new LED light to replace an old halogen unit. See photo's.

The light (with integral PIR) has arrived pre wired. 3 core cable, Red, Blue, Yellow/Green of around 30cms from the unit to, ready to be joined.

However my cable from the house (switch) is 3c+E. Red, Blue, Yellow + bare Earth.

Looking at the old light terminal box, the yellow from the house is not connected at all - the earth is and sheathed Y/G.

Do I connect these in the same format leaving the Y unattached?

Light1.JPG
Light1.JPG
Light2.JPG

Sponsored Links
I am not a sparks but it sounds like they used the cable for two way lighting that has the extra core to use if you are wiring lights to work from two switches (like upstairs and down stairs switches for staircase lights) if it was me I would tape back the yellow at both ends so it cannot touch any terminals and wire as before.

You need to correctly identify the core colours to show their function (this isn't optional) and need someone competent to do the work (also not optional).

Simple answer "Yes".
Since most glands are not designed for a flat cable, mainly as the flat twin and earth is not rated for outdoor use, you may want to add some petroleum jelly or silicon sealant to the gland to ensure no water ingress. It is quite plain to see red is line and should go to brown and blue is neutral so goes to blue and green/yellow is earth. Yellow is unused.
You may find 50W LED is a bit on the bright side, it is equivalent to around 2000W quartz halogen. There was a limit of 125W for domestic use without planning permission I don't think this has yet been modified to lumen, it would equate to around 2250 lumen so I would have expected 20W to be new limit with a LED lamp. As a result be very careful it does not shine into any ones windows as you don't want any one complaining in case the regulations have caught up and the watt limit has been changed to lumen.

Sponsored Links
There might be a valid nuisance complaint to be made whatever the absolute rules on wattage.

Cheers, all.

Didn't think the old cable was outdoor worthy but I've routed it through some pvc conduit now and the joint will be in a sealed junction box. Everything I touch in this house reveals some very odd practises!

No worries about nuisance value as I live in the middle of nowhere - the light is in my own courtyard driveway. Also, the old halogen was a 500 watt hence the 50 w LED replacement - supposedly 4000 Lumens (?).

'Appreciate the comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back