Replacing a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a broken power shower that I need to replace. Is it possible to replace it with a totally different shower?

This is the one we have:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-i...er/70070#product_additional_details_container

And this is the one I'd like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mira-apt-erd-rear-fed-exposed-chrome-thermostatic-diverter-shower/5839t

Or should I just replace it with an electric shower as there should be a electrics there already for the power shower pump?

I imagine you will all advise to call a plumber (lol) but I'd like to have a go, I just need to know if it's possible to have the above shower or should I just get an electric one?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. The shower you like (Mira APT) is not an electric shower. We'd have to know more about your boiler and hot and cold water systems to say whether it would suit or not.
2. Be a bit careful with the terminology. Your current shower is what is known as a power shower, and uses hot and cold from your plumbing system, with a small pump to improve pressure and thus flow rate. An electric shower is generally accepted as being one which takes in cold water (from the mains) and heats it. Electric showers use much more electricity than power showers, possibly 40 amps rather than 1/2 an amp. It is highly unlikely that your existing wiring would be suitable for an electric shower.
3. As noted at 1. above, more information is needed to determine if you could make your preferred replacement. To replace your power shower with another power shower and do it yourself:
3a. If replacing with an identical but new unit, you would need to be confident in your ability to isolate the electrical supply, wire in the new shower, remove the existing hot and cold feeds and connect them to the new unit.
3b. If not replacing like for like, you would also need to be confident that the wires would reach the terminals within the new unit, and confident that you could, if necessary, alter the hot and cold pipe work to suit the new shower.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did think that about fitting an electric shower and wanted to avoid it really so I'm glad you've said that.

We have 2 cold water tanks in the attic and a copper cylinder immersion heater in the bedroom next to the bathroom. I believe it's low pressure in this house.

I'm already thinking I'll just stink forever instead of getting a new shower as I have no idea what to even ask a plumber to fit for me let alone trying myself!

Sponsored Links
Probably the best replacement for your power shower would be a pumped digital shower such as the Aqualisa Visage.

The absolute simplest solution is to replace the broken shower with exactly the same model.

You almost certainly have a low pressure system. The Mira APT works on low pressure (but check manufacturers specification before purchasing) so should be suitable for your system. Would need pipes re-running (behind tiles, so some tiling work needed) but should be relatively simple to fit.

Okay this is definitely out of my league isn't it! I really hate not being able to do a job myself but I may have to admit defeat on this one.

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a either an electric shower fitted or the Mira APT that we like (see original post)? Roughly.. if I'm looking at £500+ which I have a feeling it will be then I think I'll just buy the same shower as the existing one and fit that.
Thank you for all your replies by the way, you're all really helpful and it's much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back