Replacing a soakaway - pool of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing a rubble soakaway and have a 1m2 plastic crate system to install. This will take water from a garage and conservatory roof (current soakaway only takes from conservatory with the garage filling a water but and overflowing on to the garden.
I have started digging and have located the old soakaway, and the excavated hole is filled with water - does this mean I have already reached the water table? If so, I am worried a soakaway won't be effective (judging by what I read on this page https://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08).
1697283022652.png

Sponsored Links
(The 110mm pipe in the bottom is from the conservatory - It'll be replaced)

Erm, looks like the Percolation test has failed before you've even started, if the ground is holding that much water at that level, then a soakaway is a non starter. (Hence why the existing isn't working.) I think you'll have to start looking at the alternatives, firstly Surface water drain, Foul or Combined as a last resort.

Where does the rainwater form the rest of the property drain to?

Thanks. The rainwater from the rest of the property goes to a surface water drain. My original plan was to hook up to that. It's only about 8m from the rubble soakaway.
Thanks for confirming a soakaway is a non- starter - I think I would have tried to persever otherwise!

Sponsored Links
No issue, Soakaway's now are the first option on the list to avoid adding further load onto the surface water drainage system, but if that isn't an option, the Surface water system is the next on the list.

Looking at the original pic with fresh eyes, seems someone has already put some corrugated plastic land drain pipework in, not sure if this is to drain the surrounding into the soakaway, or to try and give the soakaway additional capacity by taking some of the water away into the surrounding subsoil. Either way, it isn't working. Go for the surface water drain, fit and forget hopefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back