Soakaway question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The builder constructed a soakaway for our new extension (just a hole filled with rubble) 5m away from the extension.

However, there gully (not a trapped version) where the guttering downpipe ends, is always full of water, even if there was no rain for a few days.

I tested it, by adding 10L of water and it does not overflow, but does not empty either.

Is this normal?

I am concerned that either the underground pipe going into soakaway is not laid with a required 1/40 fall or is already partially blocked.

Sponsored Links
I'd wait for a dry period where you know the soakaway should have some capacity and try rodding the pipe. Lay the rods out on top of the ground to start with so you know how far you need to push them in.

See if it clears?

It doesn't have to be 1/40 for 'grey' water - it can be half of this. However, it sort of sounds like the pipework you have starts flatter than this again, before running away at a sensible fall, giving almost an effect of a trap! How long ago was the work done, and how much of an area is the soakaway picking up?

The soakaway was done just 2 months ago. It collect water from 1/2 roof of semi-detached house plus 1 storey rear extension.

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a gully with no trap.

Do you mean that there is just a bend at the bottom of the r.w.p.?

Water should not be hanging about in the pipe at all. Eventually the pipe will silt up.

Creating the correct falls should not be a problem into a soakaway although existing drains or services may be hampering falls. These could be got around in any case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back