Replacing a System Boiler - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current system boiler - A WarmWorld HE40 - is in extremely poor condition and I don't think it's got long left.

A boiler service man came to repair a leak and service. He was totally blown away by the condition inside, as it's just rust everywhere, and the heat exchange looks almost entirely blocked with some white stuff. He said it's just unservicable.

Anyway...

I've done a quick "QUOTE" thing online. A couple of questions:

1) Do I need a new water cylinder? I live in a hard water area... I'm selling the house in about 2 years so not going to be here for very long.

2) How much would you expect this to cost as the online quote thing said £2300 including a new water cylinder, new thermostat and timing thing.

3) Do I need a power flush?

4) money is really tight, so any advice to cut costs, or things I may be offered that I really don't need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) If you're in a hard water area, then yes, there's a good chance your cyl has scale in it. However this scale is in the water that is stored inside for the hot taps, not the water flowing through your boiler. If the cyl performs properly, no reason to replace it. It can always be done as a separate item later, so I wouldn't spend hundreds more if you're moving soon.

2) Online quotes are a bit Mickey Mouse. Speak to friends, relatives, neighbours or colleagues to get the names of 2 or 3 good heating engineers to give you a quote. It's the only way to minimise the chance of employing those who arrive on horseback. Too many variables for anyone on here to give anything more than a very rough estimate. You need someone to see the job.

3) you don't need a power flush as a matter of course - only if your system is heavily contaminated. A chemical flush may be all you need.

Thanks for the quick reply

That quote was from Swale Heating who my Dad says is pretty good. I will get them round for a "proper" quote

I will avoid a cyclinder change for now

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply

That quote was from Swale Heating who my Dad says is pretty good. I will get them round for a "proper" quote

I will avoid a cyclinder change for now

That's the best type of recommendation. Poss get a second reliable one to quote, but sometimes a known quantity is better than going with someone unknown who may be slightly cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back