System Boiler Replacement Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a completely new CH system fitted 4 years ago (Vokera Synergy 29e) with 14 radiators, TRVs and 15mm pipework to the rads, and a new mains pressure hot water cylinder when we extended our house to 4 beds and 2 bathrooms. We were hoping this would sort out the heating until we popped our clogs - fat chance!
The boiler has caused us endless problems and despite 10 visits from various engineers (including 5 from Vokera) still doesn't work all the time. We have come to the view that replacing the boiler rather than continuing to worry about the system breaking down is the right thing to do.
What advice can anyone give about:
The best quality (in terms of reliability) system boiler currently on the market?
What else to get the fitter to do as apart of the fitting (such as a powerflush and/or a magnetite filter)?
Any advice would be very welcome

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the problems are with the boiler and not the controls?
It would be a shame to replace the boiler and still have problems.

The main problem has been the boiler not igniting about twice a week. The PCB and various bits have been replaced but to no avail. We have paid for an electrician to check all the external controls and wiring and he is happy they are all working correctly. We are totally fed up with the thing (and the engineers traipsing through the house).

Sponsored Links
Worcester 30Cdi system. 5 yr warranty if installed by a suitably accredited installer.

The best boiler or system's boiler ?? might be a case of pick the best of a bad bunch & hope you get it right ? numerous manu's are now offering 5 year warranty's , (as well as worcestor) on some of there appliance's
Ideal , Broag Remeha , Biasi U.K , Alpha offer a 10 year warranty on 1 of there boiler's , Sime are also offering a 10 year warranty ?? I suspect they may well all have something in common ?? the warranty's might not be worth the paper they are written on ? when they start looseing money they will weasle there way out of it !
My advice do not fit a boiler with an ally heat exc , stainless steel only !
cheaper the boiler generally dearer the spare's ? I doubt wether most components fitted on a Vokera Synergy are unique to that boiler ?

I fit Worcester, Vaillant, Remeha and Viessmann and I am pleased to say the Worcester Bosch group certainly have the best back up and do not try to reverse out of their committments.

Most premium manufacturers warrant their heat exchangers for 10 years so I can't see a problem with ali or stainless. I think the material is less of a problem, it is the design and execution that matters.

My advice is system should be clean, therefore cleaned and treated with suitable additives. Also, I steer clear of plastics unless no option.

Boiler not firing- if that happens when engineer on site, fail to see why they are throwing parts at it instead of looking for the defect.

The main problem has been the boiler not igniting about twice a week. The PCB and various bits have been replaced but to no avail. We have paid for an electrician to check all the external controls and wiring and he is happy they are all working correctly. We are totally fed up with the thing (and the engineers traipsing through the house).

Any four year old boiler should be totally repairable although intermittent faults are difficult to trace.

I am always worried when I hear comments about "traipsing" through the house!

If anyone is going to examine the boiler then he must come to your house and you should be welcoming him and offering a cup of tea or coffee.

I dont usually go back again to anywhere where they are not welcoming but luckily most of my customers are fine.

Tony

Any four year old boiler should be totally repairable although intermittent faults are difficult to trace. I am always worried when I hear comments about "traipsing" through the house! If anyone is going to examine the boiler then he must come to your house and you should be welcoming him and offering a cup of tea or coffee. I dont usually go back again to anywhere where they are not welcoming but luckily most of my customers are fine.

Sorry to upset your sensitivities, but of course we are always welcoming - with tea and coffee on tap (apart from one engineer who wanted iced water) - we want the boiler to be fixed so we are very positive to the many engineers we have seen. It is a shame that nobody knows what is wrong with it.

We were asked in February (I think it was after the third visit) with temperatures outside at -5 degrees, to leave it with in its faulty state (with the fan and pump going but the burner not working) until the engineer got there the following day so he could see it with the fault. We were not impressed with the thought of freezing to death overnight and by then we had worked out that if you turn off the electric power to the boiler for 5 minutes, when you switched it on again it would work as if nothing had gone wrong.

I asked one of the engineers if they had "Friday afternoon" boilers like Austin Rover had Friday afternoon cars. The answer was not negative.

We are so fed up with the fact that nobody can find the fault that we will get rid of it rather than face another winter of uncertainty and the prospect of our method of getting it to go not working. Nobody would put up with this sort of problem on any other piece of technology for very long. Luckily we can afford to replace it.

My reference to traipsing through the house is heartfelt. I'm sure nobody wants what feels like a constant stream of workmen coming into their house (none of them voluntarily removed their shoes when walking on carpet for example) and going away without having solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone who has replied positively. Really helpful advice.
[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back