Central heating advice and possible boiler replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a 4 bed detached which has had a Vokera Compact 28 boiler for about 12years now. Of late we are seeing the occasional problem with it and wondering if it's on its way out ? - what is the life expectancy of a boiler ?

The system seems to be struggling to heat the rads properly, i've bled them and tried balancing the system but they never really get that hot and are barely even warm at the bottom - Is this a sign they need a power flush ? Is there anything else i can try or does it sound like the boiler is struggling ?

We don't use much in the way of hot water (electric showers mainly) so really the main demand is the heating.

If we did have to replace as we presently have the Vokera system and fittings i wondered if they latest model was the best bet to minimise fitting costs and parts ? - something like this or is the spec too low ?

http://www.discountheating.com/heating/Vokera-Compact-29-HE-Combi.html

Finally roughly what would i expect to pay a heating engineer to fit a new system if i source the boiler itself ? I'm based in Yorkshire so thankfully wont hopefully be charged London fitting prices.

Thanks for any advise guys.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a powerflush and a boiler service. Buying a new boiler yourself won't save you any money as installers will get trade discounts that you can't access

Thanks guys - It hasn't been serviced for several years. I was also wondering if the pump was on it's way out ?

I just wondered if the plumber would add some mark up on the boiler so it works out cheaper for me to deal directly with suppliers ?

Any thoughts on powerflush cost ?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear!

Don't you realise that an installer needs say £xxx to install a boiler.

If he gets that as £xx for labour and £x as mark-up on the boiler do you really believe that he will be willing to still install your provided one for just £xx ?

I know that some installers are stupid but I don't that any are THAT stupid!

Tony

Your radiator problem is going to be a circulation or sludge problem and that will need to be solved if you continue to use your boiler or if you have a new one.

Boilers typically last for 10-12 years if they are regularly serviced and first fitted on to a clean system.

Vokera are seen as a bit of a budget boiler and often used in rented property or cheaper estates.

There is little advantage in replacing a boiler with the same brand as modifying the pipework even in the worst case is usually less than an hour's extra work at the most.

So its better to choose the best boiler for your application and get that regardless of the brand.

For a stand alone chemical treatment I usually charge about £188 and for a power flush about £350. But there are obviously many doing the power flush cheaper as I get few acceptances of my quotes.

Of course, I use the best chemicals from Fernox or Sentinel and add inhibitor. What the £200 cowboys use is any body's guess! Why would they add an inhibitor if they can get paid and shoot off?

Tony

How do we know the system needs a flush?

It's a sealed system so if it hasn't had new water introduced the oxygen would long be gone. Only way it should need a flush is if it has been regularly topped up.

If it was dirty when the boiler was installed it wouldn't have worked it wouldn't get worse over time.

I quite like the old compacts they're at least pretty simple - not as simple as an Intergas though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure why they have that name on the boiler because the picture shows a Compact A 1st generation. You would be buying a Compact A second generation ErP boiler http://www.vokera.co.uk/homeowners/boilers/combi-boilers/compact-a/ (facelift and LED display were the main changes and a rear flue option from the back of the boiler as well as the top).

As close a swap as you can get. Good boilers at a very good price. If you get a Vokera approved installer to fit it it will get 5 years (there are plenty in your area, ring Vokera for numbers) otherwise 2 years out of the box. If you looked at the Vokera Vision C (full spec Compact A) you get 5 or 7 years, integral filling loop and timer plus a few more bells and whistles for an extra £70.

Tony works at the budget end of the market so he sees our budget boilers but there are mid - and high range products too. http://www.vokera.co.uk/homeowners/boilers/combi-boilers/unica-i/

Any will have the same pipework arrangement as your existing boiler but the Unica is bigger.

I should make it clear that I work for Vokera so there's no misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Whatever you choose, let the installer supply/fit the boiler. Try to take the margin out of the boiler and you will be left with the pondlife installers.

Incidentally, Muggles, where are these discounts the public can't see? I buy £200K of boilers a year and could still buy most of them cheaper via Google.

, Muggles, where are these discounts the public can't see? I buy £200K of boilers a year and could still buy most of them cheaper via Google.
Sounds like you have some negotiating to do with your merchants then....unless your issue is more of a Worcester thing

Not sure why they have that name on the boiler because the picture shows a Compact A 1st generation. You would be buying a Compact A second generation ErP boiler http://www.vokera.co.uk/homeowners/boilers/combi-boilers/compact-a/ (facelift and LED display were the main changes and a rear flue option from the back of the boiler as well as the top).

Actually the boiler has a liquid crystal display rather than LED ( Light emitting diode ).

Luckily it is correctly described in the service manual:-

"""1.9 APPLIANCE STATUS INDICATORS

Your boiler is equipped with a large LCD display that indicates the appliance operating status."""

I don't particularly work at any end of the market. Just on what people call me for. As Vokera make popular budget boilers then naturally I will be called mainly to them.

There is also the aspect that I am mostly called to unreliable boilers because those are the ones that have broken down!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back