New Boiler broken just days after installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to the forums so please bear with me! I'm looking for a second opinion on advice we have been given about our new boiler.

We had a new System boiler and tank installed a few days ago. We also had a power flush on the system on the day that the new boiler was installed, prior to installation.

There are only 4 old radiators on the system. All the other radiators have been removed and sealed off waiting to be replaced.

The boiler broke down after a few days running with a fault code relating to the pump.

The manufacturer sent an engineer who visited and said that the pump impeller had started to seize up and fitted a new one without charge under warranty. Great! :D.

He said that the chemical used by the original power flush can remain in pockets in the system despite flushing with clean water. Apparently it can turn tacky which can (and has) damaged the pump as it has passed through the boiler.

Before leaving the engineer recommended that we have a second power flush carried out before we run the boiler again.

Is this reliable advice?

Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Manufacturer is Vaillant. The new boiler is a System boiler replacing a conventional boiler. The original central heating was a brand new installation 15 - 20 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Local gas safe fitter, but disagrees with the advice we were told by the manufacturer during the repair.

No you don't need a power flush.
If it was done well in the first place the system should be clean.

They don't make boilers like they used to.

Without seeing the system or knowing what chemicals were used or how the power flushing was done I am unable to reach any conclusion.

If I knew how much time was spent specifically doing the power flushing and what chemicals were used then I might venture a guess.

What I am a little more concerned about is that the installer apparently was unable to identify the problem and did not want to deal with it.

It seems that the Vaillant engineer was helpful if he was blaming the installer but still fitted a new pump without making a charge.

Its always unwise to do water treatment partially. When your new rads are eventually fitted they should be cleaned with Sentinel X300, the system flushed out to remove it and then refilled and new inhibitor added.

Tony

Before leaving the engineer recommended that we have a second power flush carried out before we run the boiler again.

Is this reliable advice?

You have to understand what power flush does and what role the chemical play in system water treatment.

Power flush will ONLY remove the sediment from base of the radiator. If the machine is not operated correctly or task is rushed through, then sediment can remain in the base of the radiator

Chemicals meanwhile, cleanse the complete system including what is ABOVE the base of the radiator and manufacturer's instructions must be followed for correct use.

While I do not fit many boilers (two or three a year is about average) one and a half day on average is time it take me to do above tasks (Powerflush, followed by chemical cleanse and removal of said chemicals). I am not suggesting I am right and everyone else is wrong, but what has to be taken on board is the fact that system hygene is paramount else appliance components will suffer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back