Replacing a toilet and floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start work replacing the floor and toilet etc in our very small cloakroom.
Suspended Chipboard floor, on concrete

my local Aylesford Timber yard
I will be putting down Eco-Versal Insulation PIR Board , with some 6mm marine ply on top
at at least thats my thoughts - Maybe ply/board under the new toilet for fixing

I wondered what the connection for the toilet waste is, I was expecting to see a Ceramic/china clay hole , which i had in the other house and the waste just pushed into that

Just not sure what i have here , having taken a bit of floor up to investigate

I will be replacing the toilet , with a victoria/edwardian maybe a backto wall , close coupled rimless unit
or may put a cupboard in

anyway, photos attached, advice on what I need to replace all for new

Not sure when the toilet was installed , before 1997 for sure
house is a 1932, but the. cloakroom was part of an extension , probably 60's

Attachments

• 1 - 5.jpeg
    1 - 5.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 1 - 4.jpeg
    1 - 4.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 1 - 3.jpeg
    1 - 3.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 1 - 2 (1).jpeg
    1 - 2 (1).jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 1 - 1 (2).jpeg
    1 - 1 (2).jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 1 - 1.jpeg
    1 - 1.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 286
Sponsored Links
It looks a little bit like a white soil pipe connection (like a 90 degree bend) with a 90 degree pan connector.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm expecting all the supplies to arrive during next week (Toilet on Thursday), and will check they are all OK and then probably stripout weekcommencing 17th - so will send some photos then

Sponsored Links
I'd say the original WC would have been a S trap, so collar in the drain to accept the outlet spigot from that. New WC installed later 80's/early 90's at a guess, (whisper cream/grey/peach/etc was all the rage when I was an apprentice, along with the Horizontal Outlets that my Gaffer used to curse), so 90° on 'new' pan outlet, straight into existing collar from old pan. If you pull that old collar out the floor, you'll find the drain.

Thanks for the reply
If i can then , I hope to take the collar Out to reveal the drain. Then put another collar back in for the new floor level , height from concrete floor to new raised floor is 42mm (will be the same as old level). and a new 90 connector
Is that the Best plan, or try and keep the existing old collar , amd clean up all the silicon and reuse the collar and a new 90 connector

Replace the collar, if it doesnt seal again you will be in trouble. If you find the 42mm is too much, look at a McAlpine DC-1 drain connector, fit that in the floor, then a stub of 110mm pipe into that, with pan connector into the 110mm pipe to make up the difference.

Thanks for the continued suggestions

Replace the collar, if it doesnt seal again you will be in trouble.
OK "you will be in trouble", what are the possible issues
The "McAlpine DC-1 drain connector" looks perfect

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plasti...nectors-roof-flashing/dc1-blc-drain-connector
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-dc1-bl-drain-connector-black-110mm/4255v

I can drop that in at the Floor level
Which maybe best, as I can seal all that up. and silicon to the flooring , I usually use CT1 but recently found
Hippo Pro 3 Adhesive Sealant & Filler to be very good and used outside on a porch construction

and I may then use
4"/110mm 90° Space Saving Bend Adjustable Length Rigid WC Connector
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/wc-con...ing-bend-adjustable-length-rigid-wc-connector
to take the toilet back towards the wall.

I'm building a vanity unit around a backtowall toilet, so its my design and fitting.
Everything should have arrived here by Friday
I'm deliberately waiting for everything to be delivered , and then can check everything out , before stripping the room out and removing the toilet and isolating all the water.
But with this heat , i'm glad i am waiting

So thanks for the continued suggestions and support

Hi
interested on views of using a
MCALPINE WC-CONQ 90° SPACE SAVING PAN CONNECTOR WHITE 110MM
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/wc-con...ing-bend-adjustable-length-rigid-wc-connector

via screwfix
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wc-conq-90-space-saving-pan-connector-white-110mm/23036

Which will go direct into a drain 4" clay Drain Internal Diameter

Will the flush be impacted, last thing we need is a flush that leaves paper behind, this was the best toilet we had in the property - BUT its all rusty and in order to refurbish had to be replaced with a back to wall rimless flush unit.

Otherwise I will use the two items suggested, which i have from screwfix now
1 x McAlpine MACFIT MAC-8L 90° WC Long Pan Connector White 90-112mm (95284)
1 x McAlpine DC1-BL Drain Connector Black 110mm (4255V)

Although I may need to cut 20mm OFF the length of the MACFIT MAC-8L 90° WC Long Pan Connector as its slightly too long, the smaller one is two small

Roughly 44mm suspended floor and then 180 to centre of waste for the back to wall toilet - Center to drain = 224. The Space saver is 285 long (243+42)

look forward to views on this space saver direct into the clay soil pipe, and flush impact

Attachments

• 1 - 1.jpeg
    1 - 1.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 1 - 2 (1).jpeg
    1 - 2 (1).jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 225
It won’t impact on the flush as it’s smooth internally and rigid, so feel free to use whichever.

almost finished the cloakroom now, toilet all set up and working OK.
once vinyl flooring fitted next month, will be putting the toilet in for the final time
The rubber fins/seal that go into the soil pipe , would you use silicon on it all?
Same question for the cistern outlet into the toilet , again with the rubber fins/seal going into the back of the toilet would you silicon that at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back