Replacing a Toilet Syphon

S

Shutpa

When toilet wouldn't flush I replaced the syphon a few mpnths back. Now, it wont flush again and I'm wondering if there is an alternative to the syphon. :?: As far as I am aware, the diaphram cannot be replaced on its own.

Sponsored Links
Most syphons have a replaceable diaphragm.Either rectangular or circular, varying in size.
Personally when I change a syphon I change them for the Dudley turbo.More expensive than your bog standard(no pun intended) syphon.Great syphons, and they are in two pieces, so that when diaphragm goes again you don't have to take cistern off of the bowl to change it.

Another option you have is to change it for the flapper type.See screwfix, B&Q for ideas.

Graham

Hi Graham and thanks for your quick reply. Would the Dudley be the model 44? Had a look at this and it says that it is designed for narrower toilets. Would that matter? £35.50 doesn't seem too bad a price when you consider that I paid around £28 for the present one less than a year ago.

Re the flapper one, does this also have a diaphram and more importantly do they last?

Sponsored Links
If you have a standard cistern then the dudley 88 is the one to get.
What Andy has shown is the flapper type that I was on about.

Try getting the dudley from a merchants.Think I paid 15 quid plus VAT for the last one that I fitted.

Graham

another thing to check is that there isnt a blockage restricting the flow into the pan, either trapped in the syphon or where the water flows into the pan, a common thing in there is the lid off a disposable razor, it walls down the back of the wc cistern lid and into the cistern as their is usually a scoop out of the back. might be worth a look

another thing to check is that there isnt a blockage restricting the flow into the pan, either trapped in the syphon or where the water flows into the pan,
Thanks for you reply! Had a look and there is nothing in there that shouldn't be. I did see that the water level is slightly (about 10mm) below the level marked on the side of the cystern though. Would this be a possible cause. What gets me is that sometimes it will flush every time and sometimes it takes half a dozen tries :evil:

Adjust the inlet valve to bring the water up the 10mm to see if that has an effect on the problem before you go to any bother/expennse with syphon changing.

Adjust the inlet valve to bring the water up the 10mm to see if that has an effect on the problem before you go to any bother/expennse with syphon changing.

After I made posted the reply about the level, I did adjust the valve but had to rush out before I could check it. Son was caught short last night, rushed into that toilet which we haven't used recently and it worked perfectly. Totally back to normal now, so thanks for your and everyone else's replies. :) :)

PS As you said have saved a bit here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back