Replacing a window with patio doors, few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to the site and my house is also our first which we are slowly making our own so any help is much appreciated :)

I have bought some UPVC patio doors to replace our back window with in the lounge. The window is allready a upvc one and the new doors i have are the same width but will just need the brickwork cutting down to the floor level to fit them in.

What i'm not sure on is if it will need a lintel putting in or if it will allready have one in or not?

Sponsored Links
With PVC windows already in there "should be" a lintel over. How old is the house and do you have a photo from the outside of the window?

The reason for my questions are that some old properties had windows supporting the outer brickwork and bad upvc installers do not bother putting a lintel in when they should! Newer properties will have lintels.

You may even be able to see if there is one installed as the underside of the lintel "may" be exposed externally.

Here are some pics:

Somebody has put cement all the way round the window for some reason, but there are bits like this all round the garden and house, the neighbour reckons the last owner was mad on cement and so covered everything in it!

That is the inside. We pulled the curtain rail off and the wood it was hanging on and found all them holes that have been drilled there. Not sure why they have done that but now im thinking could that of been to see if there was a lintel there or not?

I suppose the first job now would be to chisel off all that cement?

All help appreciated oh and please excuse the mess in the pics :)

Sponsored Links
It looks like you have a brick arch on the outside of the wall and a wooden lintel on the inside. Have you sliding or hinged doors , because you seem to have a stack pipe for a hinged door to bump into.
Frank

Yes they are hinged doors. I did notice the pipe right there but the doors should just be able to open enough for it not to be a problem (hopefully).
Oh and forgot to put apparently the house is about 50 years old.

oh dear what a mess that looks
I agree it looks like you have a brick arch under the render, if so then you wont need to do anything to the top, just cut out the bottom.
I would be tempted to take the render off though to make sure and because it looks awfull

I agree the render on the outside looks a mess, why its been done i dont know. There may be a reason for it but theres only one way to find out so i will chisel it all off and go from there. Just went out and had another look and you can see the soldier bricks just under the edge of the render.

Just a small update on this, From another thread i just made this is the lintel on the upstairs window above this one:

So i assume the downstairs one will be the same setup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back