replacing all floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I will try to explain my situation as best I can.

Bought this house for the location (lakefront). The house is livable and I knew needed some touching up. What I didnt expect was to find out that the floor joists for the house are all rough sawn 2x8 lumber, 16"OC. Which wouldnt be a problem, IF, the span they are covering wasnt 15ft. On top of that, they total length is 40ft, and the joists rest on top of a supporting wall, but they are in no way connected, there are 2 2x8's butted against each other on top of a 2x5 supporting wall. :evil:

Now my first thoughts, are that I am going to need to fix this spanning issue. BUT the other kicker is that this is a full size wood basement, with walkout. Not a bad thing but the subfloor is also wood, and I do mean, that there is gravel underneath 2x4 and plywood that make up the floor. Hardly the most ideal surface to be using jack posts.

As it stands, I am going to have to pour a concrete basement, starting with the footings, and pilings, then slab and walls. But even before that, in order to properly support the house before hand, I will need to replace all these floor joists, and put in 2 2ply LVL beams to allow the house to be lifted to where it needs to be in order to do this work.

My question is, is this even worth undertaking, or should I just scrap the house, and start new? I have no problem doing the work, but when I pour the new foundation, I will have plans to have an addition added on at the same time.

Sponsored Links
What is that actual issue, are the joists rotten, sagging, bouncy?

Daniel

The joists are bouncy. And my fear is that there will not be enough support, When I go to put in the foundation and have the house lifted onto cribs.

are the noggins there between the joists? I asked because I had the bright idea of removing them in my basement for improved height and the floor got springy, had to reinstate

Sponsored Links
By noggins I'm assuming you mean blocking or cross bracing between the joists? And no, there is nothing like that.

are the noggins there between the joists? I asked because I had the bright idea of removing them in my basement for improved height and the floor got springy, had to reinstate
Nice....
By noggins I'm assuming you mean blocking or cross bracing between the joists? And no, there is nothing like that.
Yes, exactly that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=noggin+joist&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

Stops them twisting sideways slightly.

Daniel

The might help patch things up until a permanent fix can be done. The section that is 15ft with 2x8s 16" oc, is still very springy, and things shake when walking on the floor. I also have noticed that the floor does indeed sag slightly in the middle.

What about reducing the spans by introducing some form of beam mid support under?

The joists are under size thats for sure without some form of support mid span in the basement which it sounds like you do not want to do, you could jack it up level and then put two rows of blocking as you call it at 5' and 10' that will stiffen the floor and it should help when you lift the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back