Replacing Altech ALTHC001 Controller with Nest 3rd Gen

Sponsored Links
post a pic of this wiring in the boiler
I will need to open up the boiler later to check but attached is the diagram in the manual which I’m basing my understanding on

Attachments

• ACD71463-B4F8-43DC-A77F-EA7BFB932272.jpeg
    ACD71463-B4F8-43DC-A77F-EA7BFB932272.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 67
I know what the wiring diagram looks like , I need to see what is in there

I know what the wiring diagram looks like , I need to see what is in there
Ok attached.
Mains supply goes into a 3amp socket in the wall next to the boiler.
The LR, LS and NR go into the wall, with the LR and NR forming live and neutral in the controller and the LS joining the red wire up to the circuit box.

Attachments

• 5E6C4CB3-A76F-4843-B36F-867949F64AE0.jpeg
    5E6C4CB3-A76F-4843-B36F-867949F64AE0.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
This is odd - having re assembled the boiler the nest now seems to be operating the boiler as expected - ie I put the nest on manual and the boiler fires as you would expect. I will test some more and report back later... it could just be doing a “reboot” cycle and coincidence

More likely you have a loose connection somewhere
Morning - the boiler firing was a coincidence- it was running some sort of start up program (picture attached).
However that’s not to say I don’t have a loose connection so will go round and check everything again this morning.

Attachments

• 8F5B0157-14E4-4D9E-A8F0-347A17FC3F15.jpeg
    8F5B0157-14E4-4D9E-A8F0-347A17FC3F15.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 71
More likely you have a loose connection somewhere
So I’ve checked all the connections again this morning and I can’t find anything obvious. Running out of ideas. Is there a way to test other components of the system - eg the hot tank thermostat? The valve might be working but is missing a neutral supply - any possibility other than bad connection?
Edit: @stem fresh eyes here might help? Many thanks both in advance

Last edited:
The valve might be working but is missing a neutral supply
The valve wont do anything untill it gets a neutral supply, there is no neutral in the cyl stat so leave that alone, every time you turn the power off and back on to your boiler the boiler will run for a short time in syphon re-fill mode, only thing we havent looked at post a pic of the wiring behind the fused spur

So as I see it:

1. You have tested with a multimeter between the motorised valve's white and blue wires when the Nest has the central heating switched 'on' and is calling for heat. The result is 0V
2. You have tested with a multimeter between the motorised valve's white and earth wires when the Nest has the central heating switched 'on' and is calling for heat. The result is 230V

As @ianmcd pointed out, that shows that the Nest is providing a live supply to the motorised valve, so the Nest is good. However the neutral is missing. Therefore you need to trace the neutral wire from the motorised valve back and find out where the connection has failed.

If the 'spare' blue wire behind the Altech was not connected to anything before when the system was working it won't be the neutral. The fact that it is 'live' worries me and should be investigated. For now at least insulate it and tuck it safely out of the way.

There are several blue wires at the Altech, two connected to it and one not. Is there any possibility that you have got them mixed up when you transferred them to the Nest? That 'spare' wire certainly looks as if it has been connected to something at sometime.

Capture.JPG

Would you be able to tell us what is actually connected to the other end of each of the 3 blue wires?

Edit.
@ianmcd replied whilst I was typing.

Last edited:
In fact. On closer inspection.....Spot the difference in your before and after photographs. To make it easier, I've highlighted it for you. If you look carefully, there appears to be a second blue wire in the N terminal in the first photo.....

Capture.JPG

......so before reconnecting it anywhere, you just have to sort out which blue is which. But don't guess, get it wrong and it could cause problems. You are probably going to have to trace them back to their origin.

Last edited:
In fact. On closer inspection.....Spot the difference in your before and after photographs. To make it easier, I've highlighted it for you. If you look carefully, there appears to be a second blue wire in the N terminal in the first photo.....

View attachment 221294

......so before reconnecting it anywhere, you just have to sort out which blue is which.
Well blow me down this seems to have worked... loose wire seems to be the missing neutral and needed to join the neutral going into the nest...
Just going to test it a few times and will report back.

Attachments

• 6AF0E2C9-B26B-4FC4-B947-58BA330C9AA2.jpeg
    6AF0E2C9-B26B-4FC4-B947-58BA330C9AA2.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 63
Remember when you put the power back on you will have a delay untill the backward rugby posts dissapear on the display before the rads will start to heat up

Both - thanks very much for your help pleased to say all now operating correctly. I will buy you a virtual pint

needs a fair bit of tidy up and link off the old thermostat in the circuit box - will post in a few days once I’ve sorted.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back