Replacing always on/off outdoor light with PIR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals...

First time poster..

I'm looking at replacing my ageing outdoor light, which is a simple halogen on/off affair, with a switch located inside the house.

Ideally, I'd like to replace it with a similar type of light, but with the ability to..
a) always have it on.. as with the current situation when were using the patio in the evening.
b) switch it to PIR mode, and use it as a security light.

I've read about replacing the single switch with a double switch.. and I'm not a complete novice - but I can't think of a way to do it!

Any ideas!?

Thanks!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Most PIR lamps can be set to permanently on by flicking the switch (off/on once or twice}.

If you make sure your new one is of this type then the wiring will be exactly the same as now.
You will have to leave the switch in the on position for PIR control.

Oh! Marvellous.. Is there a specific type I should look for - or likewise, avoid!?

Cheers for the quick response!

Sponsored Links
The function to override the PIR by switching the supply ON and OFF for a brief period can put the light ON after a transient power failure.

Best to use a lamp and a separate PIR. This allows the PIR to be located where it will be more effective at detecting people. When the PIR is part of the lamp people walking straight towards the lamp may not be detected by the PIR. PIRs are much more sensitive to people walking across the field of view than they are to people moving towards or away from them.

Steinel PIRs are more expensive but extremely reliable

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STIS180W.html

There are other suppliers of quality PIRs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back