Replacing an Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a broken Mira Sport 7.5kw shower and wish to replae it. I have seen an excellent buy at Homebase which is a easy to fit universal fittings Bristan 8.5kw would this be suitable, I'm sure it will fit but am unsure about the wattage being ok?

Sponsored Links
It depends what you have supplying your exisisting shower, hopefully you have a 6mm twin and earth on a 32Amp breaker, if so then an 8.5 will be fine.

Feel free to take a picture if your unsure of cable size.

The load on a 32A MCB should not be greater than 7.2Kw. Wiring regulations do not permit any overload margin for resistive devices like a shower.

The 8.5kw shower is rated at 7.8kw at 230v so this should be fitted to a 35A circuit protective device, and ideally an RCD.

Here are the instructions, really you should replace like with like for an easy life.

http://www.bristan.com/WebRoot/BristanDB/Shops/Bristan/Products/INSTRUC. PDF-1050289-C.PDF

I have a broken Mira Sport 7.5kw shower and wish to replae it. I have seen an excellent buy at Homebase which is a easy to fit universal fittings Bristan 8.5kw would this be suitable, I'm sure it will fit but am unsure about the wattage being ok?

The only Problem you may incur is that Mira generally have a Cold feed supply on the Left Hand Side , Most other Brands are on the RHS ,

BUT Mira have just brought a new Model Mira Jump , It has a swivel inlet on the RHS and cable connections on both sides , Just fitted one for my Old fella , they are a nice piece of Kit

Lucky
PS - They are on offer at City Plumbing (Travis Perkins) @ £99+vat

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back