Replacing an interior door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. First time poster so I hope I'm asking this question in the right place.

We've just moved house and one of the doorways into the lounge was door free. The frame wasn't plumb and the stop was fitted for an old ledge and braced door. In addition the stop was molded as part of the old frame so I couldn't adjust it. The opening was approximately 770mm wide.

I have removed the old frame which was colossal. Each plank was 65mm wide. Having remove it I have an opening that is 900mm. I don't have room to fit a door that is any wider than 762mm

I bought a softwood door lining kit but this is only 250mm wide. My question is can I use this in conjunction with a baton to pad out the gap and finish with a decorative architrave or should I replace like for like and buy thicker planks and and construct a frame that more closely resembles the one I've taken out? Or is there another option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Pack it out to fit the frame you have/can fit in the space, It will make it easier to get it all plumb anyway. If you can make it good to your taste and are happy you have no issues. Just make sure you secure it all well.

Sponsored Links
After you have battened, wedged and screwed it plumb and true, you can use expanding foam between the wall and the lining, to muffle sound, block draughts, and hold it very rigid without shaking or coming loose. You can get a pink fire resistant foam which I think is worthwhile, and will prevent spread of smoke or flame if necessary, or the ordinary yellow foam will work.

The foam is very sticky, so tape clingfilm over the visible parts of wall and lining to protect them.

To reduce waste and cutting-back excess foam once hardened, tack some wooden formers, or the architrave, wrapped in clingfilm, to cover the gap, and inject through drilled holes. I have found this is neat and forces the foam to expand into the gap without spilling out. The clingfilm means your architrave or strip will not be stuck in place, it can be removed easily, and refixed when you are ready for decorating.

In another European country, it is common to prop the linings in place and secure them just with foam, no screws, battens or wedges. I am not convinced this is best practice, but it does hold them very firmly in place. It is very handy if you have a teenage daughter who likes to flounce out and slam doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back