Replacing Bath Mixer Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two holes in the bath for hot and cold water taps in one unit with a central "valve" for diverting water up to a shower head.

The valve is not working correctly - when I apply it, there is still a lot of water flow coming out of the mixer tap, and I have to apply a clamp to force the water up to the shower head.

2 questions:

1. Is it repairable, and, if so, how?

2. If I elect to replace the unit, are all equivalent mixers the same dimensions, e.g. will they fit the 2 holes I currently have, which are 19cms apart from tap to tap?

Great site - Great advice - Any help appreciated!

Ian in Northumberland

Sponsored Links
2) depends on make of tap

i had one that "wouldn't fit" untill i ralised it was adjustable :oops:

just seen one that says "fits all standard 2 hole baths"

1. Is it repairable, and, if so, how?

Depends on type. Some respond to WD40 externally. Others you "just" have to undo - can be difficult without marking chrome. Insode, scale can be a factor. Use Limelite or similar, and silicone grease.

2. If I elect to replace the unit, are all equivalent mixers the same dimensions, e.g. will they fit the 2 holes I currently have, which are 19cms apart from tap to tap?
Pretty much.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for speedy reply - I measured the "centres" of the taps at B&Q tonight and they all seemed to be on or around 19cms, +/- 5mms....plumbing is a big No no for me, but I am keen to have a go, this site gives confidence to do just that!

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back