Replacing Bath Tap Feeds - Tips ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to replace one of my bath flexi supply pipes:

Would this do the job: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96407/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Flexible-Tap-Connector-15mm#

I've also seen these 'easy fit' ones: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/35300...t-Flex-Tap-Connector-22mm-x-x-300mm-Pack-of-2
Which should i go for? How exactly do the easy fit ones work?

Also once i have turned water off at the valve, do i just hold nut 1 in place with a spanner and turn nut 2 to loosen it, any need for PTF tape when fitting the new one ?

Cheers for any tips

Pete

Sponsored Links
Hold nut No2 in place and undo nut No1.
The size of the connector you need is the same size as the present one. Can't tell from the photo whether it's 15mm or 22mm (due to lack of a reference scale). ;) ;)

PS, when fitting the new one make sure the flexi pipe doesn't twist when your tightening it up.
PTFE tape although not essential, is a good idea.

the push-on fittings are more liable to go wrong. Brass compression fittings I find safer (DIY)

if it is for a bath tap, you will do better with a 22mm x 3/4" connector (they are narrower inside than they look, so a 15mm will constrict the water flow)

I would also get the one with the valve in it, then you can remove the existing valve which I see below your connector. A 22mm valve will be less contricting than a 15mm valve (the valves are also much smaller than the pipes they connect to) even if you are putting it on a 15mm pipe (you can get a conversion set but I have forgotten the name - you get a reducing brass cone)

If like me you are not a pro plumber, you will find that putting PTFE tape on the olives will make a better seal than dry or paste. You have to assemble first so that the olives grip the pipes, then undo and tape.

be careful not to get any kinks or twists in the hose

You will be better off with the compression fitting as you can reuse the existing nut and olive on the current pipe.

If you were to use the "easyfit" (speedfit) connector you will need to cut off the existing olive very carefully with a hacksaw making sure that you do not go through or damage the pipe underneath - or take the old pipe out of the isolating valve and put some new copper pipe in.

Sponsored Links
Leave the existing olive and nut in place, and re-use them with your new flexi.

A turn of PTFE around the olive can help it re-seal, but it's not always essential.

There's no call for any sealant on the threads - they just hold everything together.

I would fit the tap end of the hose first, otherwise tightening the tap connector may twist the flexi. You can hold the compression fitting end steady with a spanner to stop it twisting.

I would retain the seperate service valve. You can shut that off to replace the flexi as you are doing. You would need to shut off the water elsewhere if you need to replace a hose with an integral service valve.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to use speedfit fittings on a piece of pipe after removing an olive. pushfit relies on clean, accurate unmarked surfaces to seal properly. Compression olives tend to crush and mark the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back