Replacing bath taps flexi shower pipe with thermostatic flow adjustable wall mount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to replace my current Wickes bath mounted mixer-tap shower head arrangement with a DIY fit-able thermostatic shower that would include some sort of flow adjustment on the wall at, say, chest height. The idea being to take a shower with a guaranteed temperature, irrespective of the vagaries of mains water pressure and the sometimes unpredictable hot water flow from my elderly Worcester Bosch boiler. I am sure there will be dozens of suitable pieces of fancy hardware to meet my requirements – no doubt the ever-watchful DiyNot overwatch-bot will be offering several in due course :)

My question concerns fitting such a replacement device: if the photos have downloaded ok, you will see the present bog standard arrangement, with the twin taps on a single mounting on the bath edge: how can I get at the pipes underneath the fitting in order to release the taps, as I can’t see the underside of the bath, hemmed in as it is by the wall? I’ve not put that very well, but I hope you can see what I’m getting at. Advice and guidance, always generously given on this forum, would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• shower-whole-view.jpg
    shower-whole-view.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 22
  • bath-taps-showerpipe.jpg
    bath-taps-showerpipe.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
The simple solution would be to have a "deck-mounted thermostic shower mixer tap" - something like...

Other products at different price points are available.
It wouldn't give you chest height controls, but once the flow is set on the bar, the temperature will be maintained, with the benefit of a relatively simple install.

One downside of these, is that a bath will take longer to fill.

Spacing of your existing tap holes would have to be compared, along with checking which existing tap feed is hot - this matters for thermostatic mixers!

I have one and it works nicely with my elderly combi, even when someone downstairs decides to flush the loo!

As for disconnecting the existing taps, you'll just have to remove the bath panel, and see how accessible the connections are!

Thanks for your thoughtful response - I'll be checking your suggestion - I'm not bothered about how long the bath takes to fill - it takes an age anyway, being L shaped and extra capacity, plus some members of the household once in can't get out! Where does that upper body strength go?
So it's all down to removing bath panel and see how much wriggle room there is to release the present fitting - I was rather hoping it would just 'lift out' when the topside tap fittings were removed.

I was rather hoping it would just 'lift out' when the topside tap fittings were removed
Yes, from below I'm afraid! :(

However, one of the benefits of fitting a deck mounted fitting is that a couple of different brands may fit the same deck mounts - a quick replacement of the bar can be possible from above, without delving below the bath, just by undoing these nuts (for example)...
Screenshot_20240125-215609_Chrome.jpg

(Spacing and hot feed side, permitting)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, would that mine were of that 'exposed nut' type, but it ain't: a photo of a similar brand shows the deal, with the threaded 'tails' underneath a solid non-dissamble-able block.
I'm stuffed, I think, there will be no room to get pipe wrench in what will be about 4cms gap - but how did the installation plumber do it? I need to get the panel off and see what is revealed.

Attachments

• similar-bath-taps.jpg
    similar-bath-taps.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 14
" but how did the installation plumber do it? ".
Probably before the bath was pushed into place and tiles fitted, but perhaps you could manage with something like these bath tap spanner
whoah! I've not seen anything like these tube spanners for decades! I'm guessing one end would just fit over the tails once the flexi feed pipes are unscrewed and I'm just praying the installer didn't solder rigid copper feed pipes instead of stainless flexis - but he wouldn't have done that would he? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back