Replacing baxi solo 2 40rs with Worcester boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I am looking for some help please on a boiler replacement. I am writing this on my phone so it might come across as brief - sorry.

I have a baxi solo 2 40rs system boiler and I would like to retain this set up (I don't want to change to a combi). I have picked the Worcester 15ri for various reasons. The third quote I got told me that there might be wiring issues as the Worcester needs a pump overrun and the baxi doesn't have a wire for this. Neither of the first two installers said this. Does anybody know if this is true please? My baxi does have an overrun already (it has a pcb specifically for this purpose) - does the Worcester do it in a different way which means that more connections and wires are needed? The pump currently overruns for about 5 minutes after the boiler is off.

I would need to think about a cable route and extra cost if it is required.

Thank you in advance
Paul

Sponsored Links
Yes the Ri needs a permanent live to it. The o/run is controlled by the pcb.
In a nut shell you need LNE a switched Live and a pump feed, in all 5 wires.

If you're determined to have a Worcester, and I'd be interested to know your reasons, I'd have thought the 12Ri would be a better replacement than the 15Ri unless either you're finding that your current boiler isn't adequate, or you're intending to extend your system. What's wrong with the Baxi anyway, has it broken beyond repair? If not, it'd be worth keeping that...

You'll need a permanent live to the Ri

I agree about the 12Ri being the better power model. What is your reason for suggesting a more powerful boiler?

But if the Baxi currently has an operating pump over run then I would expect that adequate wiring already exists.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, so I think it should be OK I think (somebody else put a comment and then deleted it earlier which confirmed it was OK too?). At worst, the fitter will need to install a cable but I am hoping this isn't the case.

• I know the 12Ri is the direct replacement size wise but I have a few reasons for going to the higher model:
    I plan to extend the system to the conservatory one day;
    I have installed some double radiators where single radiators were installed;
    This is the model that Worcester recommend if you go through the boiler selection tool.

I chose Worcester based on reviews on Which and the fact it fits into the kitchen cupboard I already have perfectly.

The Baxi is finished - it's very unreliable after 20 years.

Thanks for everybody's help.

The boiler is sized on the heat loss of the house.

Its most unlikely your radiators total heat output exceed 10 kW but you could add them up if you like to check.

Its less efficient having a larger boiler than needed.

Tony

Having radiators in your conservatory does not comply with Building Regulations

Which reviews aren't done by people in the industry...but hey if it fits in your cupboard then it's the best thing since sliced bread. That cupboard should make it even more difficult to work on and maintain than it already is (they're a bit of a pain, IMHO).

I, like Tony, think you're in danger of oversizing your boiler, creating increased running costs

Nothing wrong with the ri get a Worcester approved installer and you could get up To 7 years warrenty ( go on Worcester website).

Think the point being made is OP wants kitchen cupboard fit and the Ri is top servicing. So care needed for future access. Cabinet may need to be removable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back