Replacing bigger for smaller rad - design question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a large rad in a lounge with a smaller rad in a new location which I want to be under the window.

The window only allows for a smaller rad to be fitted due it is being an alcove (a flat alcove, not curved).

By making this alteration I'm gaining from being able to nestle the new rad in the alcove but fitting a smaller rad. According to my calcs I'll be losing a 8208 BTU rad to gain a 4519BTU rad.

The room is about 3.3 * 4 metres.
And needs about 6842BTU.

So I'll be deliberately under sizing the rad to gain the design benefit.

Would some of the loss from fitting a smaller rad be mitigated due to its new location under the window ? Is this a bad idea ?

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at alternative radiators - more fins, triple panel etc.. or taller ?

I personally wouldn't under size.

Have you looked at alternative radiators - more fins, triple panel etc.. or taller ?

I personally wouldn't under size.

I need it to be either 900mm x 500mm high

Or (very tight squeeze) 1000x 500mm high

In either case I can't go higher because of a window and I can't seem to find a triple panel below 600mm

I'm undersized by 1628w

1. You are likely to be cold. The proposed new radiator won't be able to keep up with the heat loss from the room at or around freezing outside temperatures.
2. With the move away from fossil fuel heat sources to things like heat pumps, the circulating water in an economically priced system will be at a lower temperature than current systems. This dictates larger radiators, not smaller ones.
3. Would there be room to fit additional small radiators in the returns to the alcove? Joined top and bottom to the main radiator this could effectively from a larger radiator. Just be careful that the valve would not be too exposed.

Sponsored Links
1. You are likely to be cold. The proposed new radiator won't be able to keep up with the heat loss from the room at or around freezing outside temperatures.
2. With the move away from fossil fuel heat sources to things like heat pumps, the circulating water in an economically priced system will be at a lower temperature than current systems. This dictates larger radiators, not smaller ones.
3. Would there be room to fit additional small radiators in the returns to the alcove? Joined top and bottom to the main radiator this could effectively from a larger radiator. Just be careful that the valve would not be too exposed.

I think you are right.
It makes no sense to pay for a reduction in heating capacity because that is what I would be doing by purchasing smaller rad. Thanks for your views.

Does this help?

Good spot. I did find that website and it looks great but look at the lead time.. 10 weeks ..
I've bookmarked it for future though because I'd love to have a type 33 one day and the prices aren't actually that unreasonable :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back