Vertical Designer rad on 8mm microbore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new. Hope you can help. CH system background - sadly I was persuaded by plumber 12 yrs ago (easier for him), while doubling size of house to retain the old part of the then 20 yr old 8mm micro system. It was expanded to run from Ariston combi (rubbish) replaced with Vaillant system boiler (great) 4 yrs ago. So current system is mix of 15, 10 & 8mm, runs 15 rads in 5 bed house + two bathrooms. Not the best but I'm sure balancing etc would improve!

I want to replace the 1400 x 580 old under-window single rad with new narrow vertical rad in upstairs Snug room (TV & relax area). To save space & as a feature I like vertical 'designer' rad Hudson Reeve Revive 1800h x 354w rated 1.74Kw. The room calcs out at only 1Kw allowing for volume, windows, heat from below etc. I will fit the HD TRV set but does this seem overpowered for the room? Will there be problems in cranking down the rad or will TRV just manage it with less time on? Btw - I will join onto 8mm microbore part of system! I know! Can I go out of rad with 15mm tails and do 15 to 8mm reduction under floor?

Please advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, is that Yes to 15mm tails going under floor?
What about the vertical rad being 1.7Kw & room calc only 1Kw? Will there be any problems with thiis? Thanks.

Over sizing the radiator will work fine also, a trv will take care of it.

Rad sizing is only a guide anyway.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. The TRV will be the Hudson Reeve comes as a matched set, not cheap so assume OK? Have had so many failures on the original cheapo TRV's. Have replaced most as necesssary with Danfoss, are they good? Should I go with the designer rad HR TRV (chrome & styled to match) or buy Danfoss etc.... dependable brands?

cant go wrong with drayton trv4.

never heard of hr.

do you have a link ?

it must be a version of someone else's valve.

Response to spacethegas. The Hudson Reeve TRV set is
HT326 THERMOSTATIC RAD VALVES £35.20.
http://www.ultra-group.co.uk/hudson-reed-product-detail.asp?ProductId=591&ProductRangeId=123[/url]

They are hopefully a known/reliable brand. These come included with the Hudson Reed Revive Radiator HL326 + FREE VALVES, TRV set +£5. From The Smallest Room.

1) Please advise if you think ok to go with these or buy others?
2) For TRV into 8mm microbore which is best or most feasible? Either ....
a) A TRV already with 8mm fittings?
b) A converter/reducer to 8mm within the 15mm compression tail?
c) Drop through floor at 15mm and do the reducing underfloor?

Thanks

i don't recognise the valves so i cant really comment apart from aesthetically i think they look ugly & cheap imo.

towel rails don't look good with microbore pipework.

my personal choice would be to use 15mm chrome plated pipework (if chrome rail) reduced under the floor.

I agree microbore is ugly to a feature rad, so will use 15mm chrome or painted white. This is not towel rail in bathroom, but a white vertical feature rad alongside window, 1800mm high in study room.

Advise please?
A) Is there a TRV angled chrome that you can recommend?
B) What reducer 15 to 8mm should I use below floor? End feed or is there a compression one?

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks.
1) Does anyone do a 15mm to 8mm Yorkshire reducer? Still prefer pre-soldered fittings as a DIYer, I know they are more expensive.
I have seen 15 to 10 & 10 to 8 but not 15 to 8 in one hit.
2) I plan to use 15mm chrome tails from radiator and then reduce to 8mm under floor into copper. Excuse dumb question but chrome can't be soldered, can it?? In which case if not I will need to use compression 15 to 8 reducer?

Thanks for the patience.
------------------------------
Sprout is the 3-legged cat!

Thanks Graham.
Just to confirm before I order the kit for this.
1) Vertical designer double radiator Hudson Reed Revive 1800h x 354w rated 1.74Kw, the room calcs out at only 1Kw (only 2/3 of an outside wall and heated room under). The earlier reply to my concern on overspecing with this rad was that this shouldn't be an issue.

2) TRV set - The best price I can find for this rad also includes free supply of angled chromed TRV + L/S Hudson Reeve HT326 set - normally £35. Link here http://www.ultra-group.co.uk/hudson-reed-product-detail.asp?ProductId=591&ProductRangeId=123
It will be a bargain if the valve set is good. But I can't get any info on the origin. I called Hudson Reeve, good reputation on rads but their technical dept don't know, they just call it an 'off-the-shelf' item………. but they can't say if it is Drayton or Danfoss etc inside. I have had cheap TRV's that all failed one after the other and have gradually replaced with Danfoss that have been troublefree. So do I go with the free valveset which may be good or buy Drayton TRV4? Someone on ebay is doing them new incl L/S for £16 set.

3) I will drop 15mm chrome tails below floor, 15mm compression elbows from there then 15mm to 8mm compression reducers into the 8mm microbore in/out pipes.

How does that all sound? Your feedback is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back