Replacing Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a new extension I've got to re-position my 30 year old boiler so I've decided to replace the boiler and radiators. It breaks my heart to replace it cos I've had 30 years with only 3 days when the heating failed!!! Should I go the whole hog and replace all the pipework as well?

Sponsored Links
shouldn't be any need, if the've worked fine with old boiler and old rads no reason they won't work fine with new boiler and new rads, get them flushed for good measure

shouldn't be any need, if the've worked fine with old boiler and old rads no reason they won't work fine with new boiler and new rads, get them flushed for good measure

I would totally agree with that, I did the same after 30 years.
Replace any radiators that are badly rusted on the outside, as the inside is likely to be worse.

Make sure the system is fully cleaned and there are no blocked pipes, especially the cold feed from the small header tank, mine was almost totally blocked with scale.

Make sure that a magnetic filter is fitted on the return feed close to the new boiler, to catch any rubbish.
I have a Fernox Total Filter, which is very easy to clen without dismantling it.

Have a decent replacement boiler fitted by a qualified and competent installer.

Its also worth replacing any controls, pump and valves at the same time, if they are really old.

Keith

Depends weather the old system was open vent or sealed, if it was open then if you seal it (higher pressure) you may find quite a few leaks that you didnt have before & if pipework is hidden this can turn out v expensive, cant you keep your old boiler just move it ?

Sponsored Links
As above if your switching from a gravity system to a pressurised system it could affect your pipework, and thus spring leaks. I'd replace it all personally.

if the pipework is copper and soldered there is no reason why you should spring leaks as you'll only pressurize to around 1.3 bar, I have done many open vent to sealed conversions and not had any problems, Ultimately though the decision is yours

Convert the installation to fully pumped..
Replace cylinder
Fit open vented boiler
Optional. Split heating to give you two heating zones with HW making it three

Thanks for all responses to my query. Decided to change to system bolier and re-route some of pipe runs. I'll re-use some of existing pipe in new layout and replace all cvompression joints (not many) with soldered joints.

I'd have the pipes and rads tested before spending £2000 on replacing it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back