Replacing Central heating Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently have a glow-worm Space Saver 38 boiler controlled by a Horstman Pearl Auto timer. I'm looking to replace the Horstmann as the clock mechanism inside is very noisy

From what I can see connection-wise going into the timer, there are 3 connections - 1 to the mains, one coming from the boiler itself and the other going upstairs (Water heating?)

Firstly, I'd like to replace the Horstmann with a basic digital timer that runs silently, and secondly, would I be able to replace it with a timer that controls the heating and water separately - Currently Water and heating together, though we do have a separate emersion switch upstairs which is rarely used.

Would anyone have any recommendations on a timer to use, what skill level is required to fit, I'm a novice so would have to get someone in if it was anything more than a like for like swap on the wiring.

TIA

Cheers Dan

Sponsored Links
Whether you can get separate control depends on the plumbing. It's usually possible to get HW without CH at least even with ancient systems. I think you'll need to get someone in to see what's what, unless you feel like learning a fair bit...?

More than willing to learn a little, rather have the satisfaction of spending a bit of time learning whats what.

I'm assuming I do have separate HW control as during the summer months I can just hit the Emersion if I need to do the Washing Up.

Not too fussed if I can't have separate controls, just keen to bin the Horstmann timer as it makes a right racket.

Foret the immersion heater for now.

Depends what plumbing you have. Often on old systems the boiler will heat the HW tank by gravity and apump is used to heat the CH, so a bit of contrl is possible by switching the boiler alone, or boiler and pump, separately. Better systems are fully pumped, and have valves and thermostats...

If all you want is to turn the mains on and off to the system, buy a plug-in timer!

Sponsored Links
dantheman213 said:
I'm assuming I do have separate HW control as during the summer months I can just hit the Emersion if I need to do the Washing Up.
I bet that Greg Lake and Carl Palmer would have something to say if you did that! :evil:

So assuming I ignore the Immersion Heater

If I just wanted to replace the Horstmann timer that has 3 modes - Off, On, Auto (allows 2 start/finish times per 24hrs) and wanted to replace with a more modern silent timer. Is this a fairly simple thing to accomplish?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back