Replacing chimney flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.

We need to install some stairs against a party wall but was told we’d need to remove the chimney stack to allow room for this. I spoke to my neighbour about needed to remove it and he was fine about it. However, he said he still uses a gas fire in the fireplace which obviously uses the stack. Would it be common practice to still remove the stack both sides (ceiling upwards) and then fit a metal flue to replace the neighbours side?

Any advice would be appreciated

Rob

Sponsored Links
Need a bit more info and maybe a picture?. Fires don't normally share flues at any stage.

Lets assume this is a semi detached house.

Each side normally has its own chimneys within its own side of the party wall.

So that would normally enable the chimney breast on your side to be removed.

BUT the combined chimney will need to be retained within the loft.

Current structural requirements usually require a steel beam to take the load of the combined chimney in the loft and that is often a long beam resting on load bearing walls at each end.

That is a controlled activity under the Building Regulations and will require plans and calculations to be submitted in advance to the Local Authority for approval by a structural engineer. That can cost £1000 to £2000.

The actual work itself can cost about £2000 - £3000 done properly.

In the past there were various brackets which were used but most are no longer permitted by local authorities.

Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

Thought I would upload a few pictures of the chimney in question. It’s on a semi detached bungalow which was built around 1950s.

So by the sounds of it I cannot remove the chimney stack from inside the loft which is what I needed to do to be able to install the stairs against the party wall.

Rob
DSCF3032.JPG

xDSCF1912.JPG

Sponsored Links
As Tony has pointed out, it has very little to do with the structure itself and is wholly to do with the requirements of the local building authority in your area. Some areas permit the use of gallows brackets in the loft (they do here in Hertsmere; or they did about 6 years ago!), many do not!
If you go online to your local building control website, they may have documentation pertaining to chimney breast removal and stack support. Look there first and then give them a call - they will guide you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back