Replacing chipboard floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, currently we have a floor of 18mm t&g chipboard, on about 18/20mm polystyrene, on very thin sheet of clear plastic on concrete floor/screed (haven't exposed enough of that yet to say much about its state). This dates from 1960's and is now quite uneven and bouncy and has been patched in places.

We're looking to have some sort of hard flooring instead of carpet - was hoping for Karndean but that might be over-optimistic... so maybe a laminate board instead.

We think we need to replace the polystyrene/chipboard, but complication is we can't remove the skirtings (have just spent £3000 having walls skimmed/painted... yes I know in retrospect the wrong sequence but we didn't realise how bad the subfloor was under the carpet & underlay!)

So without removing the skirtings we can't really do t&g again - so were wondering about very thin layer of PIR insulation on dpm sheet with vcl over to replace the polystyrene, and make up new floating floor with 2 layers of 12mm plywood - one straight one diagonal - and divergent stapled together. Anyone got any idea if that would work?!

Sponsored Links
I've just advised a couple of flooring forum posters, why not see my information and see if it will help you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back