Replacing circuit breakers in a domestic fuse box.

Looks like I replied as you posted the one above mine.

So correct me if I've got it wrong. It's a split load board with an RCD covering half the board with the socket circuits. Initially the MCB for the circuit the boiler is on tripped, and turning it back on now trips the RCD.

If so I would guess the boiler fuse hasn't gone. Sounds to me like you had/have a short circuit which initially tripped the individual circuit MCB, but are now left with a short circuit to earth which is taking out the RCD.

Yep, the RCD had tripped, and tripping all the socket circuits (including the boiler one) as well with it. Turning the boiler MCB on now trips the RCD again.

It's a pain the boiler doesn't work to help dry the sockets out!

Sponsored Links
Just use a hairdrier then. Oh you can't your sockets don't work :LOL:

You will probably find no problem by morning if some air has got to it. If not follow RF's advice above.

Sponsored Links
Thank you to everybody who has posted advice. The sockets dried out fine overnight, I put them back together (replaced the fuse just incase) and the circuit all works fine now, with power to the boiler.

Now I just have to get the boiler fixed!

Thanks, jmh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back