Replacing conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a conservatory which is attached to the back of my garage, with access via the kitchen, and one side of the conservatory is actually the wall from the side of my house.

I would like to rip it down and replace it with a room that I can use all year round, and my builder (who is doing a loft conversion for me currently) has said that an alternative to building a brick replacement is to build as stud work construction and use Eternit Weatherboard (the type you see on lots of new buld houses), and he reckons it will avoid needing planning permission but didn't know about buildi regs.

I did speak to building control and they werent being very clear - so any advice?

Sponsored Links
Your builder is a muppet.

Planning permission may or may not apply as a result of your permitted development rights and not to be determined by choice of construction materials.

Furthermore, any habitable space will require building regulations.

Not if it is a porch or a conservatory with a solid roof. That's why BC are non-committal.

Not if it is a porch or a conservatory with a solid roof. That's why BC are non-committal.

Quite so, but when Darren posted this....

I would like to rip it down and replace it with a room that I can use all year round

....his builder should have intimated that it will no longer be considered a porch or a conservatory, should he remove external doors etc.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's true. I guessed he meant an 'orangery' type of thing that was separate (doors still in place) but had a solid roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back