Replacing cooker with new hob and oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have searched the forum, but not found exactly the info I need, so apologies if it's already been answered somewhere.

I am replacing my cooker for separate oven and hob units, which will be situated at different sides of the kitchen, my questions are:

Can I use the existing 45A cooker socket for the hob (running new 6mm cable from the socket in trunking along the skirting to the hob) ?

Can I use the old water heater radial with a 20A DP switched flex outlet for the oven?

Hob is max. 6500W
Oven is max. 3400W

Cheers,
Chris

Sponsored Links
You could:
But although the the accessories are rated at 45A and 20A, you must confirm that both fuse rating and cable rating are suitable for the appliances.
So existing cable sizes need to be confirmed.
6.00mm will be fine for the hob on 30A/32A protective device.
Oven would be okay on 13A supply, maximum load would be at around 15A but diversity would look after the extra.
But the MI my state differently, So you must follow the manufacturers instruction, so read the information within that document of those appliances, for the electrical connections.
Please look at Wiki for advice on new cabling in notifiable locations.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Cheers for the reply.

MI says 1.5 - 2.5mm 3 core heat resistant for oven, and 6mm type H05SS - F rated 180 deg C or higher for the hob.

I checked the original cooker fuse, it's old style ceramic push fit fuse (wire) rated at 30A, and the immersion radial I'm using for the oven has 16A mcb.

Will the original cooker 6mm twin and earth do for the hob, or should I fit a CCU and run heat resistant flex from there to the hob?
Or is that too many connections?

Cheers,
Chris

MI says 1.5 - 2.5mm 3 core heat resistant for oven, and 6mm type H05SS - F rated 180 deg C or higher for the hob.
4mm² cable will suffice for the hob.

Although the regulations state that the Manufacturer's Instructions must be followed there is absolutely no need or justification to stipulate 6mm².

I checked the original cooker fuse, it's old style ceramic push fit fuse (wire) rated at 30A, and the immersion radial I'm using for the oven has 16A mcb.
Those will be fine. I assume the immersion is no longer connected.

Will the original cooker 6mm twin and earth do for the hob,
Yes.

or should I fit a CCU and run heat resistant flex from there to the hob?
It is unclear what you mean.

You should have a Cooker Switch above the worktop and then it is best to have a Cooker Connection Unit below the worktop for ease of wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I should have elaborated more.

The set up I have is cooker switch on one wall, with approx 3m of 6mm twin and earth run to location of new hob.
I'm assuming I should mount a connection unit at skirting height or similar, and run the heat resistant cable from there to the hob?

ps. I hope the immersion is disconnected, I had it taken out 15 years ago! lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back