Replacing Crosland 489 oil filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help. I am aiming to replace the 489 filter that sits at the outflow of our oil tank.

The new 489 filter element I bought comes with 4 seals, 2 small, 1 medium and 1 large. The large one will sit around the top of the filter bowl presumably, while I believe the medium sits between the cartridge and the descending tube at the top in the middle. However I don't know where the two small seals are supposed to sit? Are they for the bleed screws on top? Do I just fit them under those heads?

Also, is it correct that there is no flat base in the conical bottom of the filter bowl?

For context, I've just completed a full clear out of our boiler and aga system, including having the oil tank cleaned and cleaning the oil filter. The aga and boiler still seem to be competing for oil, the oil is typically very dirty currently, and the filter was full of dirt when I cleaned it the other day, so I want to replace the filter with a new one and make sure I do it right.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yep, under the two bleed screws on the top, normally just over finger tight so the O ring doesn’t get squashed out.
When you dismantle the filter, note where the inner seals are fitted.
The conical bowl is to allow any water to collect......some had a drain off, others didn’t.
John :)

Thanks for getting to me so quickly. One of the issues is that I am not sure it was previously fitted with all seals. I don't remember noticing one around the outside of the bowl at all, and the medium one was stretched around the descending tube in the middle, which I wasn't totally sure was right - expecting to figure it out when I look again.

Should the small whole end of the filter element be at the bottom also? And the large hole at the top?

I don't think there is any further drain for water - it's very old... How would it avoid oil draining through incidentally?

Sponsored Links
For sure there should be a large diameter seal, located in a groove, where the bowl fits into the top housing.
That one is usually levered out using a small screwdriver.
The filter element itself needs to be hard up against the top housing too.....often there is a rubber seal there. Usually there is an internal spring to press the bottom of the filter element upwards. The large hole goes to the top.
If there is a central bolt holding the thing together, there could be an O ring just below the bolt head so do check!
Not all filters have a water drain off at the bottom of the bowl, but any water should be visible when you tip the contents into a tray.
It sounds like this one has been together for a while.....expect the filter to be nicely black!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back