Replacing Danfoss 5000 with Drayton Wiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks, I’m in the Uk and looking to replace my Danfoss 5000 with a new Drayton Wiser Smart Thermostat.

I bought this thinking I could just swap one by the other but upon looking, it seems the Danfoss doesn’t use the standard backplate as expected

So looking at what’s already there and I see a couple of wires going into it.

The standard backplate seems to expect a lot more cables, so was wondering if anyone could help me wire this thing up? Do I just need to connect them two and push the new box in? Or am I missing things?

System: Combi Boiler (Ideal)
New thermostat: Drayton Wiser Smart
Product: WT714R

Thanks

Attachments

• C2D5EBE6-638F-4932-9A79-696E592407EB.jpeg
    C2D5EBE6-638F-4932-9A79-696E592407EB.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't say which Wiser product you have but if it's...

1665480764931.png

Then it will require 230V operating power [the Danfoss you want to replace is battery operated so doesn't have a 230V supply]

The two wires you have in the Danfoss COM and N/O would go to terminals 1 and 3 respectively in the above Wiser example. Then a 230V supply from the same 3A fused supply as the boiler would go to terminals N & L to provide the operating power.

It may be that the brown wire is actually a L (this can be tested with a multimeter to confirm) if it is, linking L and 1 would provide you with the live supply.

Regarding the neutral, the grey wire could be used as the N (fit it with a blue sleeve to identify it as such) and it will need to be connected to a neutral at its other end.

If your Wiser product is different to the above, please provide details of it.

Last edited:
It would be beneficial to state what type of system you have, Splan, Yplan, Combi boiler et al.

Sponsored Links
So basically the wiring for your thermostat will come from the boiler, I would have a look at the fused connection unit and see if it’s possible to locate the wiser receiver from there rather than opening the boiler as the cover often forms part of the combustion circuit, needing a gas safe engineer or someone competent to check for safety afterwards. If it can be done at the fcu, then just piggyback the L and N from there and then just add in the live to common and switched live to the heating on (NO) and that should work.

@mplacona I am in the same predicament and just wondered how you got on with this? I have no "main" boiler controller only two Danfoss 5000 one upstairs and one downstairs.

I did. All I had to do was get an electrician to connect two blue wires near my boiler (they were just not connected with each other), and this made it so that I could now use the cable that is in the back as a ground. Hth

I did. All I had to do was get an electrician to connect two blue wires near my boiler (they were just not connected with each other), and this made it so that I could now use the cable that is in the back as a ground. Hth
Sounds like a very similar situation to me

I got mine sorted on here :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back