Replacing dodgy bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a dodgy bathroom light, in that it's not even a proper bathroom light (previous owners were DIYers that had even less of a clue than me!)

I bought a very simple one to replace it, but when I looked at the wiring of the old one, it confused me... it is really badly done but goes like this -

View media item 68487
It doesn't seem to match anything in the wikis so I'm guessing the switch part is elsewhere. I'm guessing there are 2 wires from the ceiling as there are also 3 spotlights (which can be turned off independently from this main light) so they are "downstream" from this one?

The new light only has one bulb socket. Do I just wire both sets of incoming wires directly into the socket? Or should I use a terminal block?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't seem to match anything in the wikis so I'm guessing the switch part is elsewhere.
There could be junction boxe(s) somewhere.

I'm guessing there are 2 wires from the ceiling as there are also 3 spotlights (which can be turned off independently from this main light) so they are "downstream" from this one?
Yes, although - can they also be turned ON when 'this one' is OFF?

The new light only has one bulb socket. Do I just wire both sets of incoming wires directly into the socket? Or should I use a terminal block?
Which ever is easier/neater.

Yes, although - can they also be turned ON when 'this one' is OFF?

No. The main bathroom light turns on the main light, 3 spots and the extractor. The extractor and 3 spots can all be turned off while the main one is on, but cannot be turned on when it is off.

Which ever is easier/neater.

Thanks, straight into the bulb socket is easier and neater, I was just being cautious about whether that's a no-no or not.

Thanks for the reply. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back