Replacing door windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old wooden door with 6 windows about 9.5" x 8". 2 of these now need replacing. I think I could replace these myself but where do you get the glass from?

As a side note, we was thinking of having the door replaced with one of these upvc doors but reading the posts on here about them and security I'm thinking it might be better to stick with the wooden door, any views?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If its a good solid door then stick with it, just get a decent BS 5 lever fitted if not already there

As for the glass just measure the opening and deduct 5mm for both width and height and nip off to your local glass merchant, always write down or quote the width first and then the height becuase if its patterned glass you don't want the pattern running sideways.

consider having laminated glass when you reglaze, it is more expensive but very burglar-resistant.

Measure the rebate first to see what thickness you can accomodate. I think mine was 7mm. You can get it clear or obscure.

You could also use 6mm float which is not as good, but cheaper fairly thick and stronger than common window glass which is 4mm. You can get double-sided glazing tape which sticks it in place and is slightly spongy to avoid rattling.

p.s. when giving the merchant the dimensions, tell him you've already deducted the clearance or he might deduct it again. Write it down to avoid misunderstandings.

Thank you guys, glass merchant was the term I needed to search for :). Looks like I have one locally so will call them tomorrow. How much should I be looking to pay (so I know if I am being taken for a mug!).

I think the original windows in the door are 4mm. Why are we taking 5mm off after measuring the opening?

Sponsored Links
it has to be a loose fit, so it goes in easily, and will not crack when the timber expands and shrinks with the weather

You should be looking at only a few quid each really, my local glass shop would give them me, it just aint worth them raising an invoice.

Also, as i said before measure the hole wood to wood and take 5mm off for width and heigth, this gives 2.5mm all the way around to allow for any movement in the door.

According to the part L regs doors need to have safety glass in them but because your panes are so small and are less than 0.4m in area you can get away with just ordinary glass (float as its known) but i understood it that it had to be 6mm thick for strength, the glass shop may well advise you of this also but its no great problem either way

You should be looking at only a few quid each really, my local glass shop would give them me, it just aint worth them raising an invoice.

Also, as i said before measure the hole wood to wood and take 5mm off for width and heigth, this gives 2.5mm all the way around to allow for any movement in the door.

According to the part L regs doors need to have safety glass in them but because your panes are so small and are less than 0.4m in area you can get away with just ordinary glass (float as its known) but i understood it that it had to be 6mm thick for strength, the glass shop may well advise you of this also but its no great problem either way

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back