Replacing double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a double light switch in the kitchen that operates separate lights.

Some of the wires are marked with ? yellow paint. (I take it these should have been covered/marked with red tape) . There is a small red wire looping two of the wires together.

I have bought a new double switch that has common, 1 way and 2 way on each switch.

Where should the wires connect on the new switch?

[/img]
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sorry, could you be a bit more specific. There are five wires.

2 Red...of which one is marked with yellow paint.

3 Grey...one marked with yellow paint.

The smaller red wire is connecting a grey wire and the red wire with yellow paint. :eek:

It's a bit difficult to see tbh. I think the two wires marked with yellow paint are the switch wires. They want to go in to L1 (one in each terminal). The remaining wires are permanent lives so need to go in to the common terminals. Again one wire in each common terminal and then the link (that 'U' shaped bit of red wire) between the two.

I'm pretty certain this is correct but a better picture of the back of the switch would allow confirmation.

*edit* Actually i've missed a wire out if you've got 5 there. Get a better pic of the switch from the rear view rather then the side as it's nearly impossible to see where all 5 wires go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks...I'll try a better pic, but the wires are a bit short and it's difficult to get one :( .

I can see they're a tad short. Try your best with the picture other wise give us a break down of which wire goes to which terminal. A diagram of the switch exactly as it is now would be just as good as a photo. Don't forget to label it with C, L1 and L2 or L1, L2 and L3 depending on how the manufacturer did it.

ok...will do but I'll have to leave it until tomorrow now.

ps...new switch

GALLERY]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back