Replacing Drayton Cyltrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Cyltrol (1 inch Angle type) on my hot water cylinder is starting to seep when adjusted and so I intend to replace it with a new one. I'd be grateful for some advice on the following points.

Is it necessary (or even advisable) to drain the cylinder (obviously the CH would need to be drained)?

Is replacing the Cyltrol likely to be problematical (e.g. damage the union with the cylinder) meaning that, maybe the cylinder should be replaced anyhow (that would not be good news). OR should it be a pretty stright forward job?

Any other points to watch out for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Chances of a cylinder leak are high, so then you scrap your cylinder as well as your new valve.
:( :(

But you might get away with it. (Leave water in cylinder)
:)
New ones aren't cheap though
:(

Obvious option would be to update the controls.
AN improvement :)
but costs, and means doing some plumbing :(

If you leave the Cyltrol alone, the seep may well stop.

So if it's set high, you could leave it where it is and no leak risk
Then add the updated zone valve(s) and wait until you feel like changing the cylinder

DO ya feel lucky? :evil: :evil:

Thanks Chris.

You say that the risk of a cylinder leak is high, but suggest leaving water in the cylinder. Would I want to leave the water in the cylinder if the risk is high?

If it does leak, is it the fitting (large nut etc.) on the cylinder that the Cyltrol fits onto that give the prob??

Yeah - £76 is the cheapest, but if it works it a lot less hassle than the alternatives (I'm aware of the arguments for replacing with a more modern solution).

Is there really no leak risk if I leave it alone (it has stopped seeping for now)?

Since the original posting, I've come across a Cytrol Overhaul Kit on a website. Does anyone have knowledge / experience of these? Especially as I suspect the problem I have is really just the O ring having deteriorated.

Sponsored Links
If your valve is screwed directly onto the cylinder boss then I would say the risk of a leak is very high!

Keeping the cylinder full stabilises the cylinder and reduces the chance of leaking a little.

Its one of the jobs no experienced plumber would do without warning you that it will probably be necessary to replace the cylinder.

If its not leaking then leave it alone ( unless you want to replace the cylinder with a nice new, well insulated one with a rapid reheat ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back