Replacing drayton with hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
On trying to replace drayton with hive but theres no success.
All lights come on when everything is connected but when I try to boos or turn on heating my combi boiler doesn't turn on.
This is wiring done on drayton.

Attachments

• 20200223_092712.jpg
    20200223_092712.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,159
Sponsored Links
Is that the only control you have or do you have a room thermostat somewhere ?

Theres as well other one which is room temperature I think. Its basically square with round dial which sets temperature

Sponsored Links
It controls heating so when turn it will heat up radiator but not hot water
IMG-20200223-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200223-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200223-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200223-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200223-WA0000.jpg

That’s because you have a timer and room thermostat for heating only, because you have a combi boiler which heats on demand.

The hive replaces the programmer and the room thermostat has to be linked out or your Hive wont work, should work when you turn the old thermostat up to max but it really needs disconnecting properly

Last edited:
I've replaced programmer with hive. Then disconnected thermostat and still nothing unfortunately

If you simply disconnect the old thermostat, the wiring will be 'open circuit' and the heating will not operate. The thermostat needs to be decommissioned properly.

The thermostat looks like a Drayton RTS8 Combi Stat. If it is, the two 'switching' wires that used to go to the thermostat terminals L and 3 [or L and 2 depending upon how your system was originally configured] see below, should be connected together to complete the circuit. Any neutral wire is simply disconnected or isolated.

aa.JPG

I don't see how? The Combi Stat doesn't have a terminal 1. Is it not an RTS8 Combi Stat, or are you confusing it with the programmer?

The Hive replaces the Drayton LP programmer and the old room thermostat (if it is an RTS8) is decommissioned as I described above.

Yes I'm confusing with programmer.
Sorry
I was replacing wrong thing all along then

How I've done it.
Disconnect old thermostat from programmer.
Change plates from programmer .
Slide cables which were in old programmer in to same slots on new plate.

The Hive does replace the programmer, but also...
If you simply disconnect the old thermostat, the wiring will be 'open circuit' and the heating will not operate.

This appears to be what you have done, so you now need to link the two original thermostat switching wires together to complete the circuit as I described.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back