replacing electric shower wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an electric shower im fine with the plumbing of this. I just have a question about the electrics. The 3 wires feeding the shower at the moment aren't the usualy colours i.e Neutral, blue. Live, brown and earth yellow-and-green sleeved core. Why would this be.

Sponsored Links
There's a few things to think about.

A- RCD or RCBO is required on the circuit, is there one
B- Is the shower like for like, or is the new unit more powerful than the old one
C- Old colours- Red = Live, Black = neutral, what colour scheme have you got ?

Are you changing the old one because it failed, or for upgrade reasons ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chri5 How do I find out the power of the shower that is in. As I dont have the instructions? As for colour I think your right it wil be on the old colour scheme. When was the new colour scheme brought in. Am replacing as the old one looks worn. Thanks for your help.

Am guessing there s no way of telling the power of the shower already in without the installation instructions?

It will be on the shower.
Look underneath, there's usually a label there.
Or tell us the make & model.

And confirm the existing fuse rating at the CU and the rating in amps or watts of the new unit.

The shower circuit really should be on an RCD or direct to a RCBO.

The 3 wires feeding the shower at the moment aren't the usualy colours i.e Neutral, blue. Live, brown and earth yellow-and-green sleeved core.
Those are not the usual colours, and won't be for many years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back