Wiring 4 cables to a plug

Sponsored Links
Or in reality fed from a 16a mcb. As flameport mentioned, the problem with the 13a plugs is the fuse

Sponsored Links
This is another gripe I have:
Some interlocked sockets (Lets call them cheaper) simply prevent the plug from being inserted or withdrawn from the socket but are perfectly happy to be switched on with no plug inserted.
I first found this when trying to plug in to a side by side (Gewiss style) socket and it took me a few moments to realise it was in the on position, since then I have found similar on a number of occasions.
Some of the other 'combination' units (socket at the bottom, space for mcb/rcd, and switch at the top) I have found to be tricky to push in far enough to allow the switch to be operated and they tend to get modified. This is possibly after they have worn but I have never got to the bottom of it with anyone.
I always liked the 'plug and twist' sockets but they seem to have gone right out of fashion.

Or how about ...
Once the OP find out how this thing should be connected, hardwiring it (eg via a CCU) into a dedicated circuit - so no plug & socket to argue about :whistle: He'll then need to buy another cable to keep in the car when charging away from home (and not at a charging point).

Come to think of it, if he ends up buying another cable, he'll be able to use a meter to work out where this extra blue wire belongs ;)

As I have a 32A home chargepoint, I have never yet had to use the 13 amp "Granny cable" supplied with my VW.
Part way along that cable is a big rubber-cased box containing some intelligence. It handles communications with the car, and has inbuilt RCD functionality.
EV forum, speakev.com, describes the cable to the BS1363 plug as being 4 core.
The 4th core is connected to a thermistor inside the plug; unique to the UK version as no other countries' plugs contain a component that can overheat. Yes the good old 13 amp fuse and its connections will overheat with prolonged full load. Thermistor senses fuse temperature and tells the logic in the box to limit the charging current when the fuse gets too warm.
Les.

I guess they've found that not all plugs, fuses, and sockets quite meet that requirement in the real world - especially if the socket's been damaged by a "safety" cover (ducks for cover :whistle:) I think we've all seen sockets with burned out contacts without them having been overloaded.

I guess they've found that not all plugs, fuses, and sockets quite meet that requirement in the real world - especially if the socket's been damaged by a "safety" cover (ducks for cover :whistle:) I think we've all seen sockets with burned out contacts without them having been overloaded.
Indeed. BS1363 (or any other Standard) cannot really be expected to impose any requirements in terms of behaviour of a product after years of service (the conditions of which are unknown).

One might think/hope/expect that a 'sensible' Standard would impose requirements of a brand new product which included a sufficient 'margin' that a product meeting those requirements (when brand new) would remain satisfactory/safe after an appreciable degree of in-service use/deterioration - but I'm by no means convinced that such is necessarily/often/usually the case.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back