Wiring 4 cables to a plug

AIUI the authorities aren't keen on cables across the pavement.
And rightly so. But I'm not sure if they can actually do anything.

It sounds like a trip hazard waiting to happen, even if you use an "anti-trip" cable cover. And what good would they do to someone visually impaired, or who couldn't lift their feet far?

Then there are the electrical issues - I wonder how many people who just plug into a normal socket consider the requirements if they have a PME supply?

Sponsored Links
I read that you should not use standard 13 amp sockets and you can buy a 13 amp socket now that has EV marked on the back and its suitable for the prolonged time needed to charge some cars
That's very interesting given that BS 1363 sockets are supposed to be able to deliver 13A without distress for several hours.

Just imagine what some of them would be like if they expected to park in front of their onw house so they could plu the car in :whistle:
Or when they find the charging cable ripped out of the car because someone tripped over it.

Sponsored Links
Can someone provide a link to these?
Possibly not as its new for the 18th they may not even be in production yet.
Voltimum, who i believe are MK quote
  • 13 A socket-outlets to BS 1363-2 where the manufacturer approves their suitability for use for the characteristics of the charging load,

Last edited:
Could you not use a four-pole in-line plug and socket?

Edit - ignore. I was thinking of the wrong thread.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody here apart from the OP has any idea whether he is referring to the BS 1363 plug on one end of the cable or the whatever-connector-it-is on the other end.

And I don't think anybody here including the OP has any idea why, once the appropriate replacement BS 1363 or whatever-it-is has been acquired, it should not simply be wired the same as the old one was.

I read that you should not use standard 13 amp sockets and you can buy a 13 amp socket now that has EV marked on the back and its suitable for the prolonged time needed to charge some cars
At last...
I've been saying for 40 years that 13A plugs are not fit for purpose, and an I've been criticised on here for having that opinion but now a new application seems to have highlighted the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back