Wiring 4 cables to a plug

Sponsored Links
An EV is simply an appliance which is plugged in.

The Wiring Regulations do not apply to it. There is not one single regulatory way to disallow an EV being plugged into any socket.

Fair enough if someone wants to provide a BS 1363 socket as an EV charging point then the regulations can make requirements of that socket. But if it is not designated as an EV charging point, let's say it's called, oh, I dunno, "a socket", then it cannot have any special characteristics mandated.

Maybe they could (should?) have used the concept of "likely to be used for EV charging", similar to what they used to have re RCDs for sockets likely to be used to supply portable equipment outdoors, but they didn't, and we've ended up with a pretty pointless regulation which can simply be rendered inapplicable by saying "no, it's just a socket, not an EV charging point".

Sponsored Links
The only problem with BS1363 plugs is the fuse in the plug, which will heat up in normal use and could cause damage to the plug and socket if it was used at full load for an extended period.
Same as FCUs which melt and disintegrate when people use them to connect immersion heaters and storage heaters.

I have just replaced the moulded on plug on a neighbour's 2kW heater after she noticed the plug was getting hot.

Dissecting the plug identified the fault.

Attachments

• 0x49.jpg
    0x49.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 128
The contact area is the same, I think you are thinking about the CSA of the copper in the pin. But even with the reduced CSA - it's still a solid lump of copper with considerably higher CSA than the cable that will go into the plug.

The only problem with BS1363 plugs is the fuse in the plug, which will heat up in normal use and could cause damage to the plug and socket if it was used at full load for an extended period.
But they aren't supposed to do that.

My wife has an EV, I unlock battery carry it inside and put it on charge, however it is just a 400 W/h battery for an electric push bike.

It will depend on the vehicle, this
Pocket-Mod-Bella-by-Razor~95K622FRSP.jpg
is still an EV and will require to be registered, it is no longer classed as a push bike, even though limited to 15 MPH, in Northern Ireland even my wife's pedal assist needs registering.

As we approach the limits of a 13A plug time matters, the solid pins of the old plugs could carry away the heat from fuse far better, a fuse must get hot, that's how it works, but there is very little portable equipment that uses 13A for a long time. As to how to charge a car this web page lists the options, non which include cable out of the window.
upload_2018-12-16_15-56-44.png
It seems councils will fit charging points, which means it does comply with safety requirements and there is a reduced trip hazard.

It seems to get people to go electric 75% of installation cost is funded by government, however that does mean you can't DIY. But cost it seems is capped at £500. As to what is different with this
rolec-wallpod-ev-ready-13a-socket-evwp0020_12868_1_large.png
and a standard 13A outlet I fail to see, however I note although vehicles say 3 kW the socket spec says 2 kW. This
rolec-wallpod-ev-multimode-charger-type-1-16a-3-6kw-evmm0010_16280_1_large.jpg
is rated 3 kW the charge cable is clearly hard wired in. 13A socket is just to use lawn mower off same supply.

As to how to charge a car this web page lists the options, non which include cable out of the window.
Elsewhere on that same site https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/connectors-speeds/ it says "... slow charging can be carried out via a three-pin socket using a standard 3-pin socket ..."

And here: http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/mobile-charging-cable-options/

Tesla UMC
The Tesla UMC is supplied with the Model S and is a smart looking, Tesla-branded unit which matches the look of the car.

It’s a universal cable with 4 different adaptors available:

• UK 3 pin (included)
  • Schuko (European) plug [actually available in both “European” and “French” variants covering both polarities of socket]
  • 32A blue single-phase commando (included)
  • 16A red three-phase commando.
and lists other makers who support BS 1363 socket use.

View attachment 154710 It seems councils will fit charging points, which means it does comply with safety requirements and there is a reduced trip hazard.
Non-EV owners are going to become very unhappy if parking spaces in their street disappear because they are, in effect, reserved for EVs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back