4 core flex to 3 pin plug?

There's two ways to control the heaters.
1. a plug in module in each heater
0r
2. all connected together with a central controller.

In either method the pilot wire is present and has a voltage on it. In option 1 the pilot wire is not connected to anything external to the heater.

Right ok, that's fine then.. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Here's the installation manual for your heater:

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/operating_instructions/0/Q-Rad_Instructions_Issue_6.pdf

The safest option for you may be to open the heater and disconnect/isolate the black wire at the heater end rather than try and isolate it inside the body of a 13a plug

Ok, I will have a look into that, thanks.

Here's the installation manual for your heater:

How much did you pay for these rads, by the way? Just curious how they stack up against a £10 fan heater that is "plug n play"

Well, they are obviously more than that, but I got them at a discounted trade price so just over £200 each. After looking at the Haverland and Rointe ranges, I decided to go for these as they still offer energy efficient options with the different timer settings but are less than half the price of those...

Sponsored Links
All electric heaters are 100% efficient.

Well yes, but a £10 fan heater isn't going to heat my kitchen as well as one of these... I had the Rointe ones in my old house and they were good so wanted to try and get something similar. Unfortunately putting in central heating is too much of an inital expense so had to look at other options

OK, so let's set aside fan heaters for the moment, lest someone start pointing out that the fan motor uses electrical energy and isn't a dedicated source of heat (hence a 2kw fan heater might only produce 1.95 kw of heat from every 2kw of electricity consumed), and consider a convector heater instead - a big heater element in an empty metal box, that convects warm air out the top:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4152181

Suppose my £20 convector and your £200 dimplex panel rad consume 2kw of electricity and emit 2kw of heated air - this is essentially BAS's contention that they're 100% efficient. The room is warmed to the same degree because the same amount of heated air has been added to it...

On what basis do you assert that your 2kw Dimplex heater heats the room better than my convector heater?

OK, so let's set aside fan heaters for the moment, lest someone start pointing out that the fan motor uses electrical energy and isn't a dedicated source of heat (hence a 2kw fan heater might only produce 1.95 kw of heat from every 2kw of electricity consumed), and consider a convector heater instead - a big heater element in an empty metal box, that convects warm air out the top:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4152181

Suppose my £20 convector and your £200 dimplex panel rad consume 2kw of electricity and emit 2kw of heated air - this is essentially BAS's contention that they're 100% efficient. The room is warmed to the same degree because the same amount of heated air has been added to it...

On what basis do you assert that your 2kw Dimplex heater heats the room better than my convector heater?

In all honesty, none whatsoever. There is an additional radiant element to the Dimplex heater which will help but until I try, I don't know... If they're crap, they're going back

Last edited:
OK, so let's set aside fan heaters for the moment, lest someone start pointing out that the fan motor uses electrical energy and isn't a dedicated source of heat (hence a 2kw fan heater might only produce 1.95 kw of heat from every 2kw of electricity consumed) ....
Where are you suggesting that the other 50W of electrical energy would have turned into - certainly not light or potential energy or anything like that - surely to heat?! Unless you are going to re-write all the Physics books, that 50W cannot just be 'lost'!

Kind Regards, John

What would your suggestions be instead? As I mentioned, central heating is not an option.. I did see a lot of negative opinions on the Rointe range in other forums I looked at before but Dimplex seemed to get more positive reviews so that's what I settled on

What would your suggestions be instead? As I mentioned, central heating is not an option.. I did see a lot of negative opinions on the Rointe range in other forums I looked at before but Dimplex seemed to get more positive reviews so that's what I settled on
As has been said, the true 'efficiency' (the amount of heat generated by a given amount of electricity) will be essentially the same for any heater, but what happens to the heat will veary considerably between different types of heater. In particular, convector, radiant and fan heaters of the same power will have very different effects in terms of heating. Although we talk about CH 'radiators' central heating is broadly comparable with convection heating.

What varies a lot between different types of heaters (no matter what the fuel) is how the heat is distributed and what gets heated up - so what is best for you depends on what you actually want. What do you want to do - heat a whole room, heat a whole room quickly, heat people within the room, or what?

Kind Regards, John

Heat a whole room, but not necessarily quickly (and not the people if you're talking about infra red!) With the timer switches I can set these to heat up before I get home/wake up so I don't think the speed is much of a factor. I believe convector heating is quicker than oil heaters for example, but again, the cost was a factor with the convector heaters being a cheaper option

Heat a whole room, but not necessarily quickly (and not the people if you're talking about infra red!) With the timer switches I can set these to heat up before I get home/wake up so I don't think the speed is much of a factor. I believe convector heating is quicker than oil heaters for example, but again, the cost was a factor with the convector heaters being a cheaper option
In that case, convector heaters are obviously the way to go. Different makes/models may vary a bit it terms of how quickly they heat the whole room but, for a given power, they will all get to essentially the same place (temperature) in the end.

Oil-filled convectors are essentially the same. Compared with a 'standard' convector they will probably take longer to heat the room when first switched on, but will keep the room warm for a while after they are switched off - but, again, during "long-term" continuous use, they will eventually get the room to essentially the same temperature as would any other electric heater of the same power.

Kind Regards, John

Where are you suggesting that the other 50W of electrical energy would have turned into - certainly not light or potential energy or anything like that - surely to heat?! Unless you are going to re-write all the Physics books, that 50W cannot just be 'lost'!

Kind Regards, John

Some of it will be converted to acoustic energy (noise). Much of that will eventually be converted to heat as it vibrates the molecules in the room but some will be lost through the wall and windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back