4 core flex to 3 pin plug?

Some of it will be converted to acoustic energy (noise). Much of that will eventually be converted to heat as it vibrates the molecules in the room but some will be lost through the wall and windows.
Methinks that the barrels are being scraped again!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Remarkably little acoustic energy is required to make a very considerable noise so, as Detlef says, virtually none.

Where are you suggesting that the other 50W of electrical energy would have turned into - certainly not light or potential energy or anything like that - surely to heat?! Unless you are going to re-write all the Physics books, that 50W cannot just be 'lost'!

Not asserting it's lost, just that it goes to running the fan, making the fan make a noise, pushing the air.. and not directly into the heater element to make the immediately usable heat the user demands..

If you're asserting that running a fan with it causes the fan to produce 50W of usable heat from the outset? I'd kinda set that aside for the context of this discussion - 50w to run the motor does indeed accelerate air molecules into each other, warming them up, and makes noise, that vibrates air molecules, and vibration is heat.. So maybe I could have counted the energy the fan uses as ultimately contributory to the heater's heating function but let's face it, asking someone "hold your hand over this nichrome wire consuming 50w, now hold your hand over this fan consuming 50w - which feels warmer?" is bound to elicit a "the wire" response even though you're technically correct.. (i.e. this is essentially the kind of debate I was looking to stay away from, sorry for the oversimplification)

So I moved on to a convector heater featuring only a resistive element so as not to have to get too deep into the physics of the whole affair. True, those heaters make a faint noise but I'm not really after a hairsplitting discussion (it's accessory to my main point)...

Last edited:
What would your suggestions be instead?

Well, someone mentioned you've set out to install 4 of these.. £800 goes a long way towards a combi boiler and some rads... Or an air to air heat pump if youre set on electric and want better efficiency for your kilowatts consumed

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you're asserting that running a fan with it causes the fan to produce 50W of usable heat from the outset?
Well, yes, it does produce virtually (ignoring the tiny amount in 'lost sound'!) 50W of 'usable heat', from the outset and throughout the period for which it is running. At 'the outset' that heat might take slightly longer to get into the room than does the heat from the element, but it will all get there eventually - where else could it go??

Kind Regards, John

Does it matter? As stated, it's entirely accessory to the point I was trying to make and exactly the pointless minutaie debate I was trying to avoid. You've made your point, I agree, the universe is sane again.. Let's let it go

Does it matter?
Not at all, and that has been the point of this rather tedious debate - that you will, to all intents and purposes, get exactly the same amount of heat out of any sort of electric heater with a given power input.

As I've said, the only difference between different types of electric heater is the speed of initial heating and the distribution (and speed of distribution) of the heat.

Kind Regards, John

been the point of this rather tedious debate

A debate I've tried to shut down from the start, from a point way before you even turned it into a debate. If you find it so tedious to keep whipping it up into a debate, you could at least do us all the favour of knocking it on the head. No one is disagreeing with you; we're all bowing to your intellectual prowess. Forgive us our trespasses (and shut up will ya?)

duty_calls.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back