Click-in blue plugs

1.5mm² has a maximum rating of 20A.

It is larger than you needed to use. 1mm² would have been more than adequate.

Ashley J501s take six cables (two at the tapered end are really for out going to the lamp so five really).

Sponsored Links
Not sure whether we're supposed to talk about it, but he's left. Disagreements and such like

Sponsored Links
Back to these blue plugs guys, I am using these for the first time. Can I please get your verification on the below please:

I am using these:
upload_2016-9-5_10-15-16.png

I assume the bigger plug connects to the t&e lighting cable and the smaller one to the LED via appropriate flex cable?

Also, I am using the Ashley Hager box in the first hole to accommodate the feed in, feed out and switch cable. This is all wired correctly as shown below:
upload_2016-9-5_10-17-11.png

My question on the above is, the cable that emerges from this is connected as follows: Live is in switched live (for switch cable) terminal, blue is in neutral and earth is in earth terminal. With this cable, presumably I now only need to connect L,N, E into the blue plugs from here on in.

I'm almost certain this is correct but would appreciate a glance from your experienced eyes.

Jupiter,
I think the Ashley-J501 looks correct and tidy. On the blue cable that comes back from the switch I believe you should have a Brown Sleave or Brown Tape to show that it is Switched Live (now I look closer, is there a brown sleave that has slid down??). And you might get shouted at for not having longer Earth Sleaves to entirely cover the Earths.

And the pdf I sent before does show that the "bigger blue socket connects to the t&e lighting cable and the smaller blue plug connects to the light via appropriate flex cable".
sfk

Last edited:
Thank @SFK. Yes the switched live (blue from switch) has brown sleeving. Will increase the earth coating too.
Did my question on the blue plugs make sense? Presumably, I just connect L, N and E into these using the cable coming out of the Ashley? and then continue the same with the link lights?

Jupiter,
"Did my question on the blue plugs make sense? Presumably, I just connect L, N and E into these using the cable coming out of the Ashley? and then continue the same with the link lights?"

Yes, connect the Switched_L, N and E from the Asley into the Blue Socket, and then a Switched_L, N and E from that Blue Socket to the next Blue socket, and so on until you get to the last Blue socket.
So all the Blue sockets (expect the very last one) have have two "Switched_L, N and E" cables.

The Blue Plugs then connects to each individual lights via appropriate flex cable.

EDIT - Note that I put a Brown Sleeve on all the Switched Live cables, just so that I know later that they are Switched Live. This includes all the Brown Cables in the Blue Sockets. Not sure if this is spec, but is a good reminder for me later.
SFK

Yes, connect the Switched_L, N and E from the Asley into the Blue Socket, and then a Switched_L, N and E from that Blue Socket to the next Blue socket, and so on until you get to the last Blue socket.
So all the Blue sockets (expect the very last one) have have two "Switched_L, N and E" cables.

I think we are talking about the same thing but to be certain...The switch cable has the following connected into the Ashley:

Switched Live (blue cable with sleeve) into the Switched Live terminal
Live (brown cable) connected to Live terminal (same as feed cables)
Earth connected to Earth terminal

This can be seen in the pic I posted earier.

I then have a t&e coming out of the Ashey and that is connected as follows:

Live (connected to the Switched Live terminal). This is what you are calling Switched_L I believe? Thsi is now a Brown cable as opposed to the blue with sleeving.
Neutral connected to Neutral terminal
Earth connected to Earth terminal

They will connect into the blue plug as follows:
L into L
N into N
E into E

Make sense and agree?
Thanks for your help.

Juupiter,
Sorry if I am causing confusion.
Yes your Summary is perfect.
Add that their will be multiple blue sockets to match the number of light fittings.
SFK

Last edited:
Not at all @SFK. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure it's me using the wrong terminology, but it's one I understand :)
Yes, they will connect into the larger blue plug/socket and yes, the same connections will be repeated for all subsequent lights and yes the last light will only have one set of cables.

Thanks again!

My pleasure,
Note that as I am a DIYer I am also guessing terminology and so keep waiting to get strongly corrected by the Electricians.
But I have used the lighting system you are using as liked it as it was simple and looked clean when fitted.
Also liked being able to wire the lights on ground and simply plug them in when needed.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back