Replacing element in towel rail.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electric element in my neighbours towel rail has failed and needs to be replaced - this in itself is no problem. I believe its possible to isolate the towel rail by merely clamping the flexible pipes that feed the rail from the c.h. system - can this be done whilst the central heating system is up and running (whilst water flows thru the pipes) or is it best done with the c.h. off. Also can anyone post me a link to the clamps I need. When and if the clamps are applied the towel rail will need to be drained before the old element can be replaced with the new - when the clamps are then removed will this not cause an air lock in the system ?? -

Sponsored Links
Yes - it was a new one on me as well, but my neighbour said that yonks ago when the element failed and had to be replaced the guys merely clamped off the plastic pipes with something like pliers which held in place, that isolated the pipes - they then took out the heating element and put in the new one, undid the clamps and bobs your uncle !!

Sponsored Links
Those are squeeze off tools suitable for blue MDPE water pipe. I have known people try and use them on speedfit etc, with varying success. Normally the pipe fails to return to it's original shape due to the laminated structure and is mullered forever and then needs draining and the offending section cutting out....

You'd be better learning (if you don't already know how) to drain your system and refill. If you're a competent DIYer this is an invaluable skill, especially if you ever get a leak! Failing that, if it is a nightmare system that doesn't like to be drained, contract a plumber in who has his own pipe freezing kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back