Replacing element on oso 20 RD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need to swop the element on an oso 20rd as it keeps tripping the rcd on my fuse board. Will i need to drain the tank down or can i just swop it over without ?
Regards Graeme[/img]

Sponsored Links
Needs draining first unless you want to get very wet.

I would also advise proper electrical tests first to ensure the element is indeed faulty.

Tony

I will drain down then, i tested the element yesterday and had 12 ohm, but i think the insulation is breaking down when it cone upto temp. There's a spare element & stat on the tank so i will swop them over.
Will i have any problems when i come to fill back up ?
Cheers Graeme

You need to test the insulation resistance.

12 ohms is too low, should be 18 ohms for a 3 kW.

It is tripping an RCD from earth leakage is it and not an MCB from over current?

Its very shortsighted not to fit a new element.

The other element can be used as a temporary heater if the main one fails.

Tony

Sponsored Links
There's a spare element & stat on the tank so i will swop them over.

Is the element really spare? More like for peak and off peak heating of water. ;)

As theres only a peak suppl the off peak element is therefore 'spare :D,
I drained down & found that i couldnt release the elements anyway, so i swopped the connections to the 'spare' off peak element as a temp measure until i can get someone to have a look at it
Cheers for the advice

As theres only a peak suppl the off peak element is therefore 'spare ,

A better option is to have two feeds to the cylinder. One to heat small quamtity (upper element) or the full cylinder for bath time. Does anyone have baths these days?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back