Replacing existing outside light cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

There is 1.5mm t&e cable running to some outside lights on the wall. Doesn’t look that old but is white. There are three LED fittings totalling 40watts

They are out of reach and test ok, with a mega. However I want to replace them , preferably put them in conduit. Or run a new black round cable, but which type ?
They currently run to the fuse box into a lighting circuit. Should I fit an RCD before the cable runs outside ? My main thought is to run a 1mm rubber sheathed sold core cable along the wall and terminate wit a 3 amp RCD plug into a socket in the garage. Taking out the fuse box connection

essentially I am replacing an existing install but read conflicting pointers as to the correct materials. I am an, old, electrician so happy with doing the work

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
NYY-J might work better, its solid core so should sit a bit nicer, whereas flex might droop a bit between clips. But otoh its probably bulkier and doesnt come in smaller sizes. Personally i wouldnt use conduit. At my brothers recently we used some outdoor rated black flex, 3138P i think, which worked well enough in a grout line with plenty of clips for exactly the same setup as you.

If your lighting circuit already has an RCD protecting it, then you dont need another one. If it doesnt, then you ideally should be rectifying that issue, rather than adding one just for the outdoor lights. What i would do though is ensure there is a double pole switch so you can isolate them.

That’s one I was looking at (y) Thanks

RCDs in all the CU circuits. Outdoor lights are wired into the downstairs lighting circuit. My only thought was to separate them from the CU

Good tip about the double pole isolator as it’s always annoyed me that there wasn’t one. Agree with the conduit.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would just keep it on the lighting circuit if its there already. The DP isolator means if for any reason water gets into them and causes nuisance tripping, you can isolate off the whole outdoor branch and keep your indoor lights working.

I've used the Linian fire clips, they compress into a single 10mm hole, CEF sell them.

Blup

I’ll check those out as I’m not familiar with them
Thank you, I’m always pleased to learn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back