Replacing external brickwork

Thanks for all the recommendations and debate about what is the best option. One thing I probably didn't mention is that the bricks are imperial, not metric. I'm sure this will cause problems, especially with the window positions.

I'll stick some photo's up later. The bricks themselves are not terminally damaged, but they look pretty crummy, I'm sure there is no immediate structural need to replace them but I want to improve the external appearance of my house which is tatty as a result.

I like the brick slips idea a lot as it keeps the character of brick, and would also increase the sill depth around the windows (something else I think the house needs).

The reason I'm looking at replacing the external skin is that we have planning permission to build a two-storey extension (when we have the cash to do it!), this will be most likely built in modern metric bricks that will really make the original bricks look crummy.

NS215 When you say board up the windows, do you mean remove them or simply cover the glass?

Sponsored Links
ham you can get lots of bricks in the old imperial size 73mm or the metirc size 65mmm so brick matching really shoudn't be a problem

you may have to board up the window opening if the window is screwed to the outer skin as obviously when you take the outer skin down the window won't be attached to anything and gravity rules lol

forget slips and rendering im my opinion just done to cover over discrepancies keep brick and you know whats going on and the job is done properly looks right and won't need touching again in your lifetime

HAM_SANDWICH said:
I'll stick some photo's up later. The bricks themselves are not terminally damaged, but they look pretty crummy, I'm sure there is no immediate structural need to replace them but I want to improve the external appearance of my house which is tatty as a result.
As you can see the results of repointing before & after
cornerpoint.jpg
cornerpoint2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back