Bricking up external door

Sponsored Links
I haven't done much brickwork, just a bit. Is this something to leave to the brickies or easy enough as once rendered you won't see it?

I did one 20 years ago, brick up an existing door, create a new doorway into the space. I had a pile of matching bricks, plus more from the new door and simply keyed it in by removing half bricks from the sides of the old frame. It was my first attempt at brick laying and it was easy to just follow the existing levels. The blocked up doorway was invisible when I had finished, no need to hide it.

Sponsored Links
Starting at the bottom, take out the quarter brick and the two three quarter bricks, snap off half the brick that's left sticking out and you'll have a slot to fit a block in. Leave the next three courses of bricks alone then repeat up the wall.

Starting at the bottom, take out the quarter brick and the two three quarter bricks, snap off half the brick that's left sticking out and you'll have a slot to fit a block in. Leave the next three courses of bricks alone then repeat up the wall.

Right, I'm with you both now. Read woodys reply wrong. Tooth out enough bricks to fill a block in, instead of brick. Am I right?

Couple questions if possible...

Should I start the inner or outer course first or does it not matter

How many wall ties should I use

Is self leveling compound OK for the inner tier to build off?

Last edited:
OOqAXs9.jpg

Is this what you mean

Yes. But you'll probably need to take 3 courses out to fit a block in.

Many thanks for that,
Couple questions if possible...

Should I start the inner or outer course first or does it not matter

How many wall ties should I use and 200mm or 225mm

Is it ok to use aerated blocks for inner skin?

Is self leveling compound OK for the inner skin to build off?

Doesn't matter.

One every second course. Size depends on cavity but it won't matter, use what you have/can get.

Yes.

Yes, if it's sound, give it a bash with a hammer to check it doesn't break up.

Doesn't matter.

One every second course. Size depends on cavity but it won't matter, use what you have/can get.

Yes.

Yes, if it's sound, give it a bash with a hammer to check it doesn't break up.

Thanks so, much, yes levelling compound is all sound.

Sorry just two more questions. I love learning about this stuff!

If u use blocks both sides the cavity would be minimal if the inner skin is in line with the existing inner skin I'm attaching to, does that matter? Only thinking of what insulation to use.

And what blocks are ok for the outside if it's to be rendered.

7n (heavy) for the outside, either for the inside. You often find that blocks are a bit narrower than bricks so you should have a reasonable cavity. Use cavity batts for insulation, they'll compress a bit if necessary.

7n (heavy) for the outside, either for the inside. You often find that blocks are a bit narrower than bricks so you should have a reasonable cavity. Use cavity batts for insulation, they'll compress a bit if necessary.
Superb Thankyou so much for your help. It really is appreciated!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back